Hangup configuring on reboot 30% complete

Hangup configuring on reboot 30% complete

Postby rjkurland » 06.04.2017, 19:03

Hello, I ran WSUS Offline Update on my Windows 7 SP 1 64-bit Lenovo Thinkpad. It completed downloading updates and rebooted for, I think, installation, then rebooted again. On second reboot, it hung up "Configuring Windows updates 30% complete." It has been hung up for almost 20 hours now. Is there anything I can try before shutting down and restoring computer to earlier time before I installed WSUS Offline Update? Thanks.
rjkurland

Re: Hangup configuring on reboot 30% complete

Postby aker » 07.04.2017, 21:58

That's some kind of bug inside the Windows Update Agent. Just force shutdown and reboot. But the updates may fail and roll back. First I would just retry, but if it still fails, I'd set a lower update limit than the default one.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Re: Hangup configuring on reboot 30% complete

Postby rjkurland » 10.04.2017, 17:41

Thanks, the problem was with the Windows Update Agent. Here how I resolved it:
I shut down and performed a system restore on restart that reverted to a date before installation of the updates.
During the restore I got error code 0x80070002, "MIssing Windows Update Components." I found MS help article 910336, which addresses this error code.
The resolution is to stop the Windows Update Service.
Double-click the Windows folder, and then double-click the SoftwareDistribution folder.
Double-click the DataStore folder to open it, and then delete all files and folders in the folder.
Note If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Click the Back button. In the SoftwareDistribution folder, double-click the Download folder to open it, and then delete all files in the folder.
Restart the Windows Update Service.

After all that, I was able to start Windows Update, download and run all the updates accumulated over the past 3 months. So Windows Update is working for me for the time being.
I appreciate the help and guidance.
rjkurland

Return to Installation / Updating