Some downloaded updates are not being installed

Some downloaded updates are not being installed

Postby b2f5426c » 02.03.2017, 19:10

Hello!

Since this is my first post here I want to say thank you for your brilliant soft that makes life easier.

As I stated in subject WSUSOU is not installing some updates that were already downloaded by it. I've tested your latest version which is v10.9.1 on a fresh installed Win7 x64 Ultimate on VirtualBox. Connection to internet was disabled, WU set to never check for updates. I've tested it three times. First time access to all update files from WSUSOU were from network resource. It looked like everything is fine but missing updates were listed in WU history as failed and they were not present on Installed Updates list.

I thought the problem was lack of access to network resource so I made another clean install of W7. This time i unpacked all required files to 'hard drive'. It completed installation of 144 updates (just like last time except requirements for IE, etc) but this time there were only 11 updates listed in WU history and all succesful and there were no previosly failed and missing updates on that list.

Third time i tested it again was with fully destroying all WSUSUO files and downloading them again. The outcome was the same.

I'm posting you logs that might tell you something more about this.
Last edited by b2f5426c on 03.03.2017, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
b2f5426c

Re: Some downloaded updates are not being instaled

Postby Dalai » 02.03.2017, 21:42

Important note: Not all updates will show up in Update history (only updates in MSU format will, to be exact); you can see the full list of updates by going to Installed Updates.

Now, to the matter at hand: Yes, some updates require an active internet connection to be installed correctly, because they're signed with a new certificate (SHA256) Windows doesn't know about and tries to verify that online. AFAIK this applies to .NET Framework (4.6.x), IE and some other updates. There are some discussions on the forum about this.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby b2f5426c » 02.03.2017, 22:00

Thank you for you reply Dalai!

Unfortunately I don't think certificats are the problem here. Update such as kb3212642 is installed correctly even it is quite new and signed with sha-256. And now even when i let internet go through it's not getting on list of updates to install. So following my thinking i guess it's a problem with WSUSOU getting its list of updates to install correctly. I post those logs right here:
http://pastebin.com/SUpphhHH
http://pastebin.com/450fu6LZ
b2f5426c

Postby Dalai » 03.03.2017, 01:22

I don't see failed updates in the log except for the one .NET thing. The log says it failed with error 1642 which - according to MSDN - means ERROR_PATCH_TARGET_NOT_FOUND
The installer cannot install the upgrade patch because the program being upgraded may be missing or the upgrade patch updates a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.
Since your system doesn't have .NET 4.x installed it's quite logical that the installation of this patch failes. Why the Windows Update Agent sees this update as missing (which causes WSUS Offline to install it) is a thing I don't have an answer to.

So, to sum it up: Does your system show all the 144 (or rather 143) updates WSUS Offline installed in the list of Installed Updates?

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby b2f5426c » 03.03.2017, 16:03

Yes, I'm well aware of this one NET update. I don't know either why WUA marks it as missing since NET is not installed but this is not my point. Such update as KB2852386 is stricly windows based udpdate and it has nothing to do with NET and it's one of many updates that aren't getting installed.

http://pastebin.com/MThmcMqM - this is the list of updates for OS that have been downloaded by WSUSOU, it's taken from download.log.
http://pastebin.com/jZ91Gvzg - this is the list of updates for OS that had been installed, it's taken from wsusofflineupdate.log
http://pastebin.com/uX1TkQuH - and this is the list of updates for OS that had not been installed and it's a result of comparing two previous lists.

See what I mean now?

EDIT: in that list of not installed updates there are 4 that were hidden because of /seconly param (KB3188740, KB3205402, KB3207752, KB3212646)
b2f5426c

Postby Dalai » 03.03.2017, 16:21

Uh, I think there's a misunderstanding on your side. WSUS Offline downloads ALL available updates (that are security related) but it installs only those that are MISSING on the system WSUS Offline runs on. In other words: not every update is necessary. Even more: WSUS Offline doesn't do this on its own, it asks the Windows Update Agent for missing updates and acts accordingly.

If you run WSUS Offline on a system that's patched up to, say, last month, it will only install the updates that have been made available after that point in time, i.e. the patches of one month.

Currently, I have 220 updates sitting in my WSUS Offline repository, but only 140 of them have been installed in November 2016 on my Win7 system. So it's perfectly normal.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby b2f5426c » 03.03.2017, 16:36

I might indeed incorrectly wrote my problem and I'm sorry for it but English is not my native language.

WSUSOU supposed to install updates that are missing on system but that's the thing. Those updates are missing from my system. As I said it was perfectly clean W7 install with SP1 with no access to internet so it couldn't install any updates from internet. This is the problem. Those updates are MISSING from OS and WSUSOU DOES NOT install them.

I've exported list of all updates installed on that machine.
http://pastebin.com/wW4s9Ude
b2f5426c

Re: Some downloaded updates are not being installed

Postby Dalai » 03.03.2017, 17:02

Not sure whether or not you are aware that you can't update a Windows system completely offline with all available patches. WSUS Offline contains and installs only security updates that are rated as such by MS. More on this topic is covered by this sticky thread.

It's normal that the remaining updates have to be installed installed by Windows Update (online) or by manually downloading and installing them (which may be tedious).

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby b2f5426c » 03.03.2017, 17:20

I'm not sure if you understand what I'm talking about again. Some updates that were downloaded by WSUSOU are not getting installed on that machine. They are ALREADY downloaded.
WSUS Offline contains and installs only security updates that are rated as such by MS.
- that's sounds unlogical since it's WSUSOU donwnloaded them but not installed even they are missing on the machine.
you can't update a Windows system completely offline with all available patches
- well what I just did is i picked random update downloaded by WSUSOU but not installed and manually installed it without internet access.

How can you tell me that I can't install some updates because of lack of internet access?
b2f5426c

Postby Dalai » 03.03.2017, 17:57

How did you determine if an update is missing? If I'm reading you right, you compared two lists of updates, but that's not how the system works. There are supersedence chains to be taken into account, meaning that updates might have been replaced (superseded) by newer updates, so the older one is not necessary anymore and can't be called missing.

Of course you can install updates manually offline, that's why I wrote
[...] or by manually downloading and installing them (which may be tedious)
But that doesn't mean that the updates are missing (= required) and would be installed by Windows Update.

Did you check for updates by Windows Update (after running WSUSOU)? Does any of the available updates exist in your WSUS Offline repository?

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Next

Return to Installation / Updating