How to use WSUS Offline to get actual .msu-files

How to use WSUS Offline to get actual .msu-files

Postby dawaske » 16.02.2017, 01:14

Hello everyone,
I just discovered WSUS Offline during my search for a convenient way of downloading Windows updates and am absolutely thrilled by the functionality this tool offers! However, despite reading through the provided FAQ I'm apparently too stupid to do even the most basic things :( For example, when I wanted to access the updates downloaded to the clients-folder after running the WSUS Offline Update 10.9.1 - Generator for w63-x64 I mostly found some .cab files of the form "windows8.1-kb2904266-x64_72f9d068fa95ed79f6e8f1455ee698b151b8637c.cab", while only a few of the files had the right format such as "Windows8.1-KB2939087-x64.msu". Is there any way to also convert the .cab-files to .msu so that I can actuall use them? Further, is it enough to just copy the contents of the latest "download_install_lists"-folder to the wsusoffline root directory if I want to download every single update that has been released for, e.g., Windows 8.1, or do I need to manually add certain updates to the respective StaticUpdatelds-****.txt files?
Thank you for your help and I'm really sorry if my questions are a little stupid!
Cheers, Daniel
dawaske

Re: How to use WSUS Offline to get actual .msu-files

Postby aker » 16.02.2017, 08:37

You can search for all MSU-links, but then you would have to update the list every time the catalog changes.
It would be easier to install them using command line:
Code: Select all
dism /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:"<path to the CAB-file>"
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby dawaske » 16.02.2017, 10:25

aker wrote:It would be easier to install them using command line

Danke für deine Antwort aker! Leider kommt der Weg über die Kommandozeile für mich nicht infrage, da ich gerade dabei bin mir ein Custom-Windows8-ISO zu basteln und für das Slipstreaming eben die original .msu-Dateien benötige. Dabei würde ich gerne vermeiden, jedes einzelne der - laut WOU_FILES-Liste - aktuell 226 Updates manuell herunterzuladen, indem ich mühsam jeden einzelnen Download Link in den Browser kopiere.
dawaske

Postby aker » 18.02.2017, 23:36

Kurios. Ich silpstreame meine Windows 7 ISOs immer mit den CABs. Das funktioniert einwandfrei hier. Sonst: die CAB mittels
Code: Select all
expand "...\xxx.cab" /f:* "irgendein temporärer Pfad"
entpacken und dieses Ordner dann slipstreamen.

Viele Grüße
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby dawaske » 20.02.2017, 11:17

aker wrote:Ich silpstreame meine Windows 7 ISOs immer mit den CABs. Das funktioniert einwandfrei hier

Du hast recht, NTLite kommt tatsächlich auch mit .cab-Dateien zurecht. Dummerweise hab ich das allerdings erst bemerkt, nachdem ich bereits sämtlich Updates manuell heruntergeladen hatte :|
dawaske

Return to Installation / Updating