Is the update process incomplete here?

Is the update process incomplete here?

Postby whambo » 25.01.2017, 19:23

Hello,

I'm new to this so please bear with me. I probably did something wrong, so...

I picked the "Security Only" updates for 8.1 x64 Global for the OS. I then picked the English selection for Office 2013 under the Office tab.

I left the USB medium box unchecked.

I have the normal Windows Update Control Panel on the OS set to "Never Check for updates (not recommended)" which mean it's turned off.

It looks like it installed the repository locally on my USB flash drive and that's where I had originally extracted the program's zip file to. After a few hours, it's now occupying 8.5GB on the D:\ flash drive. Ok.

I ran Updateinstaller.exe located in the USB's Client directory and the cmd window tells me it's found only 4 updates to install. I thought there would be more. No?

It then seemed to install those missing updates from the repository like it should.

Then it asks me to reboot, which I do. I can see the % percentages as it's installing like it should.

Once the machine reboots, I then go to see the Viewed Update History in Control Panel and there not there? For example, KB3203884 which was shown as one of the ones installed is not there.

The last updates shown in there were security updates from December. That part is understandable since the machine has been in storage for the last couple of months

Why did they not show up there in update history? Did I do something wrong?

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks
whambo

Re: Is the update process incomplete here?

Postby Dalai » 25.01.2017, 19:50

whambo wrote:Why did they not show up there in update history?

Most of the updates in the WSUS Offline repository are CABs, only a few of them are MSUs. Updates installed by CABs do not show up in Update History, only updates installed by MSUs do. Both of them show up in Installed Updates list (Windows Update > View Installed Updates).

Did I do something wrong?

No, not as far as I can tell.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby kb53 » 25.01.2017, 22:29

Did a complete run of WSUS, downloading all for windows 7. With the exception of IE11 which I had to install manually, it downloaded 192 updates. And then installed all of them, without any problem.

BUT.... After all was done, I then checked regular Windows update, and it has another 110 updates, of which 38 or so were optional.

Now I can understand the optional, but now regular windows update is going to install another 110. Why then does microsoft withhold so many from WSUS.
I know most of them are NOT recent.
I ran WSUS downloader, twice to be sure, and it totally completed to the end, and stated so in the CMD window.

I ran the update generator 2 times, and as stated where it hung on the IDs part, once IE11 did install it went past the IDs part in about 10 minutes, and completed the rest to the very end, and all successful in the install log, and Windows Update log shows them all.

SO my concern is why WSUS cannot get all of the updates, or most of them other than the optional ones?
Is it Microsoft being unwilling to release them to WSUS? I do not know why since all of the updates are public material to install. They are not any secrets in them. *(Other than I am sure there may be some that are there to inform microsoft of any illegal activity. Other than the one that everybody can uninstall that would report you as non genuine, if you were running a KMS activation virus. Anyhow.....

I am hoping this has an honest reply.
kb53

Postby Dalai » 25.01.2017, 23:38

@kb53:
See :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=172
The updates Windows Update found on your system are most likely not security relevant, although they might be rated "important".

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby aker » 26.01.2017, 00:14

I ran Updateinstaller.exe located in the USB's Client directory and the cmd window tells me it's found only 4 updates to install. I thought there would be more. No?

Did wsusou report "Nothing to do"? Else you have to restart and rerun wsusou.

Once the machine reboots, I then go to see the Viewed Update History in Control Panel and there not there? For example, KB3203884 which was shown as one of the ones installed is not there.

Updates are not added to the WU history. You can view them in "Programs and Features"->"View installed updates".
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby whambo » 26.01.2017, 18:56

aker wrote:Did wsusou report "Nothing to do"? Else you have to restart and rerun wsusou.

No, I didn't see anything like that. I'll probably run it again tonight and see if it comes with anything else. You think there may be more?

Updates are not added to the WU history. You can view them in "Programs and Features"->"View installed updates".

Yeah, I just found that out up above. CAB files vs. MSU files and how they're read differently.
whambo

Postby Denniss » 26.01.2017, 19:43

It's not possible to install all required updates in one run as some depend on others and you may also run into memory issues due to bugs in the Windoze update system.
If the WOU installer has finished an update run it prompts you to reboot and recall it afterwards - it will show this message until there's nothing more to do.
Denniss

Postby whambo » 28.01.2017, 04:18

Thanks for the info, Denniss. I will run it again, maybe one or two times more.

Thing is, once I get this month currently patched and updated, will I have to download 200+ updates again, next month?

Or will WSUS read what's currently on my flash drive and skip over them, only downloading those few that just came out for next month?

I hope this initial download is the only big one. It took me about 4 hours on the connection I had.
whambo

Postby aker » 28.01.2017, 22:54

No, you don't have to redownload everything. wsusou will just download new files and delete old ones.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Return to Installation / Updating