Basic High Level of how it works?

Basic High Level of how it works?

Postby FredY42 » 25.12.2016, 00:24

Tried looking, but couldn't ask the question properly to find it in the forum.

Although I have been using it for a few months, I don't understand how WSUSOU does it magic. I would like to understand it better so I can use it more wisely/effectively. Also, although I use it, I still count myself as a Newbie.

I have five W7 Pro machines, one is running in a Oracle Virtual box under Ubuntu 16.04, one is a desktop (64 bit), two are laptops (64 bit), one is a laptop (32 bit).

During "build":
Does WSUSOU "read" what updates are on a unique computer and do its magic from there?
Or
Does WSUSOU just accumulate all of the updates that are available for that build?

In the first case I would have to run the "build" for each separate machine.
in the second case only for one machine and "transport it to each machine.
Also in the second case I can just turn it lose on the 64 bit and 32 bit for the "build" update from any machine.

During "update" does it "look" to see what is needed on each machine or just blindly install?

Thanks so much and Merry Christmas, Fred
FredY42

Re: Basic High Level of how it works?

Postby boco » 25.12.2016, 01:34

WSUSOU's download part has to be run on a network-connected machine and builds a repository that can update each and any target machines that run the OS+architecture you chose for download. If you select Win7 x86 and x64 for download, the repository can update all Win7 x86 and x64 machines.

In other words: The repo does not depend on a specific machine, just on what you selected for download.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Re: Basic High Level of how it works?

Postby FredY42 » 29.12.2016, 06:43

Thank you so much boco.

That is exactly what I was looking for, and what I thought it was doing. I just needed to be sure.
With all my machines at different levels and 32 and 64 bit I needed that info.

Cheers, Fred
FredY42

Return to Installation / Updating