Severe latency issues after updates

Severe latency issues after updates

Postby butcherbird » 14.12.2016, 18:07

Sorry, my health isn't too good atm, so sorry if I am asking stupid question.

I needed adobe bridge, and found out I could use it free, but I had to install creative cloud to do so. I installed, and it said I needed to update windows.

I checked and apparently I hadn't updated Windows 7 x64 since early October '16.

I search for updates, and it seems to search forever, and after about an hour I go troubleshooting.

I found a troubleshooting fix, this wsusoffline here; http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-upda ... tes-3.html

I ran the program as mentioned, and after a couple of hours and many reboots, it said successful and then I used the regular updater and it installed several updates.

The problem is though, that I play World of tanks an mmo, whom I usually get 29 ping to the east server. That ping has more than tripled and I am getting severe lag spikes.

I recently had a gpu refurb sent to me and did a complete wipe and re-install of windows because of update issues. This was back in Late September '16

I am connected directly to the modem via cat6 ethernet cable.

I did uninstall the Adobe creative cloud.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the World of Tanks client twice today, once playing on the EU cluster, and then later on the NA cluster, so I don't think that it is client side.

I had run driver booster yesterday during this but it didn't update the ethernet.

I was just wondering if it could be something that came along with the windows update perhaps?

Thanks so much.
BB

*EDIT; I did a complete wipe and install of windows. Ping is about 50 now with pretty steady connection. Which is pretty weird. Not sure why not 30. Will continue to update.
butcherbird

Re: Severe latency issues after updates

Postby Gerby » 15.12.2016, 20:31

Hello BB,

As your problem does not seem to be related to WSUS Offline Update (WOU), I doubt that anyone could help you here, sorry. WOU is only a tool installing the updates that are provided by Microsoft. It wouldn't be the first time that a Microsoft update interferes with a specific piece of software.

Maybe you could search the web for ping problems under Windows. However, these kind of problems are very complex and cannot be broken down to one issue (could also be a kind of net load in your neighborhood).

Greetings
Gerby
Mach mit - der Übersichtlichkeit wegen! Füge Log-Auszüge als [Code] ein.
Make it clear! Insert log excerpts as [Code].
Gerby

Postby butcherbird » 17.12.2016, 14:36

Thanks Gerby! I do understand this, and the plot thickens...

Ok, so, I did a fresh install of Win 7 ultimate on the SSD and was using windows update, and everything was going good. Ping was back to normal. Then for some reason windows update did 270 updates at once and it took 4 hours to install them, and eventually errored. Now ofc the computer put itself into sleep mode a few times, not sure if this affected it. But it failed, it restarted, and then failed upon start up..

So, basically I installed on a new HDD and have been researching, and I am going to try updating firmware of the SSD and then, I was wondering, with fresh windows install is it good and ok to use wsus from the onset, or should I use the windows update to handle it all?

I need to install SP1 as the disk I have is before that.

Which leads to my second idea; does there exist a ISO I could just burn that has Windows 7 up to date? Or does it not work like that.

I will continue searching. But its the wrong keywords that get me everytime.

Thanks,
Butch
Last edited by Gerby on 17.12.2016, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed full quote.
butcherbird

Postby boco » 17.12.2016, 21:09

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... d/windows7 - You can download Windows 7 ISOs with integrated SP1 directly from MS.

Although there are ISOs with all kinds of updates integrated float around the depths of the Internet, they are custom-made/Homebrew and might contain who-knows-what. Not recommended unless you like Malware.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Return to Installation / Updating