WOUTempAdmin LOCKED out of Windows 7

WOUTempAdmin LOCKED out of Windows 7

Postby djtmalta » 06.12.2016, 09:34

I used WSUS to install the updates for windows 7 sevice pack 1. Now when I turn on the computer I am locked out with only WOUTempAdmin as the user and a password I have no idea what it is. I initially set up windows 7 with the user name PC-ADMIN and no password but I dont see it anywhere anymore. How can I get back into the desktop environment? If I am able to get back in with your help how do I remove the WOUTempAdmin account?

Thank you,
David
djtmalta

Re: WOUTempAdmin LOCKED out of Windows 7

Postby boco » 06.12.2016, 14:04

You should be able to select "Other user" and type yours in. Then, execute the "CleanupRecall.cmd" script from WSUSOU with Admin rights. That should remove the WOUTemp account.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby djtmalta » 06.12.2016, 16:53

What do I type in the password field for the log in account called other user? I never put a password in for the log in name I initially created called PC-ADMIN. So what's password do I use for Other User? I'm still stuck and can't get into the pc desktop environment.

Thank you,
David
djtmalta

Postby aker » 06.12.2016, 16:58

If your initial user account did not have a password, leave it blank.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby djtmalta » 06.12.2016, 17:02

Thank you. This is for a customer I sold a pc to and he is a few states away and doesn't know pc's at all. So I am trouble shooting this for him via email.. But he got in and I will now connect remotely and use the command you provided. If I run into anymore problems I will ask for further assistance. Thank you so much. You saved me from having to return the pc at my expense.

Thanks again,
. David
djtmalta

Postby Frankie » 08.05.2017, 01:27

I had the same problem as the OP. I think that you need to re-think the WOU Temp Admin methodology. It turns what is otherwise a fairly straightforward procedure into a challenge. The fact that the inaccessible WOUTempAdmin is invisible in the Win7 Users, yet becomes the only visible User when the computer reboots, even after WOU has long completed ... isn't that Too Much (TM) ? Even running the .cmd produces spurious error messages "Warning: deregistration of recall failed." and "Warning: Deletion of WOUTempAdmin account failed."

Thanks.
Frankie

Postby egruber » 30.05.2017, 01:07

I'm having this same problem. Except I'm helping a friend with their PC. I am only presented with WOUTempAdmin and Other User. The problem is my friend forgot the userid on her PC and I don't recall exactly what it is and I'm stuck. How can I get around this problem? Can I boot in via Safe Mode or some other way? I really don't want to tell my friend my messed up her PC.
egruber

Postby Dalai » 30.05.2017, 02:08

@egruber:
It's quite easy to fix: reboot in safe mode or boot a live system (Windows PE or Linux will do) and check for the user name in %SystemDrive%\Users (i.e. C:\Users). Reboot normally into Windows and log-in with the user name you just saw. Then run wsusoffline\client\CleanupRecall.cmd as mentioned in this thread.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby egruber » 30.05.2017, 03:08

Great. Thanks!
egruber

Return to Installation / Updating