Stuck on "listing ids of missing updates" after reboot

Stuck on "listing ids of missing updates" after reboot

Postby ShadowWizard1 » 16.09.2015, 20:43

When I run the program, it does some initial updates, and then reboots the machine. Then, I get a window I need to click either "okay" or "Allow" on to resume the update script (Never had to do that before) and then it gets stuck on "listing IDs of missing updates" and it sits there. If I reboot the machine, the box keeps coming up confirming I want to run the script. When I cancel it to do the updates manually, it searches for updates endlessly. Whats the issue?
ShadowWizard1

Re: Stuck on "listing ids of missing updates" after reboot

Postby aker » 16.09.2015, 20:57

This issue has been fixed in version 10.0.2.
To fix the problem (automatic):
1) update wsusou to version 10.0.2
2) check, if a file ".\cmd\UpdateOU.new" exists
3) if yes, goto step 5
if no, continue
4) rename the file ".\cmd\UpdateOU.cmd" to "UpdateOU.new"
5) run UpdateGenerator and start a download run. The new repo should not have this problem anymore.
6) If this did not help try the manual method.

Fix (manual).
1) Download "streams" from here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... 97440.aspx
2) unpack the file and save streams.exe on your Desktop
3) open a command prompt (cmd.exe)
4) enter the following code (if it asks to accept the EULA, please do so)
Code: Select all
cd /d "<your wsusou dir>"
%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\streams.exe -s -d .

5) repeat this for every folder, where wsusou is stored.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby Atanasoff » 25.09.2015, 17:08

I had this issue
(stuck at - Listing ids of missing updates (please be patient, this will take a while)...

Previously, I had a general error, 0x80070005 when attempting Windows Update, which led me to try WSUS. WSUS appeared to succeeds, but it managed only 2 updates out of many.
approximate sequence:
Program halted Listing ids of missing updates (please be patient, this will take a while)...
----- waited 2 hours
no fix
------ rebooted, waited 20 min
no fix
-------tried 4) rename the file ".\cmd\UpdateOU.cmd" to "UpdateOU.new
no fix
tried the streams fix
----- still stuck.

I do not see any diagnostic or error message, and do not know what steps to take. Windows Update seems half broken - it did pull in the "get Windows 10" advert, but shows a red x if I launch the UI, and hangs on "checking for updates" endlessly if I request manually.
It's missing over a month of updates, which must have created security holes. AV scans show noting...yet.
Atanasoff

Postby aker » 25.09.2015, 20:34

Looks like your Windows Update Agent (or some other system file) is broken. You may try to fix it by entering "sfc /scannow" into an administrative command prompt.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

aker

Postby Atanasoff » 25.09.2015, 20:44

I've done an sfc /scannow yesterday and today ... it reports that 'some files could not be repaired'.

It seems the various fixit methods have fixed some, but not all of whatever was corrupted. I did an upgrade to W10 and then rolled back. After that, unbeknownst to me the system got no Windows Updates for about 6 weeks, either it was turned off or corrupted I'm not sure which. WU was using a fair amount of CPU so it had to stop the service at times.

I believe I have to do a repair OS install, but I do not have the original media. I do have a valid W7 P 64 license, but don't know the key as I purchased the computer 2nd hand, it was originally Vista, or so says the attached sticker. It's a tablet, so it uses a bunch of Lenovo specific drivers and not plain W7 ....
Atanasoff

Postby aker » 25.09.2015, 20:49

aker

aker

Postby NetRanger » 02.10.2015, 13:10

How much time it's taking? On what it's depend?
NetRanger

Postby aker » 02.10.2015, 15:29

You have to use a Windows 7 SP 1 DVD (not the RTM one), a valid product key and maybe need to uninstall newer versions of the Internet Explorer (so you're running IE 8). Then start the setup and choose "Upgrade". How long it takes depends on how many data you have on your computer and on it's power, so it''s impossible to say. I assume, that it will take 2 hours.
aker

aker

OffTopic: Stuck on "listing ids of missing updates" after re

Postby Vetal » 02.01.2017, 17:59

Before using WSUS Offline Update try to install IE 11 manually, it was help me to resolve this issue. Before this I tried to wait ~10 hours and nothing happend :(
Vetal

Return to Installation / Updating