Failure configuring Windows updates (win8)

Failure configuring Windows updates (win8)

Postby commandlinegamer » 11.12.2014, 13:26

Apologies if this post has already been covered elsewhere. I want to try and resolve this myself anyway, but needed somewhere to note what I've done.

Over the course of several months I've tried using wsusoffline to update machines with Windows 8 after clean install or restore to factory settings. Using this tool, installs typically 70-80 updates, restarts and fails at the configuration stage.

Current machine is a Packard Bell Easynote with Win8 x64. Did the D2D factory restore. Ran wsusoffline which detected 83 updates needing to be installed. All 83 installed seemingly without error. But again on restart, failure at configuration.

Last time I did this, I gave up on wsusoffline after 4/5 attempts and let Windows Update do it which worked without a problem.

Unfortunately, I don't have time just now to analyse where the failure occurred and redo the updates, so for now I'm just going to perform another factory restore. What I will try later is another clean install on a workshop machine to see if I can replicate this.

FWIW, wsusoffline is a very handy tool, and it works great on XP, Vista and 7. I can let it do 100+ updates without having to worry about it failing.
commandlinegamer

Re: Failure configuring Windows updates (win8)

Postby aker » 11.12.2014, 22:11

Please post the content of C:\Windows\wsusofflineupdate.log and run .\client\cmd\ListInstalledUpdateIds.vbs and post the content of %temp%\InstalledUpdateIds.txt.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Return to Installation / Updating