do I need directx_Jun2010_redist.exe for Windows XP

do I need directx_Jun2010_redist.exe for Windows XP

Postby vzr » 03.04.2014, 20:41

Hello.

I am using the WSUS to update a Windows XP system.

Do I need the directx_Jun2010_redist.exe for a XP system? Is there a way to skip this in WSUS and either come back to it later or add it manually into the WSUS at a later time. If so, how and where to add to exclude in WSUS?

Can I manually download it directly from the msft site and add to the WSUS or copy/paste it somewhere so that it will use it if needed by WSUS at a later time?

If done this way, will WSUS be able to see it and add it to WSUS for future update?

Any other large downloads/updates that can be excluded for now --- trying to help get the system up to date? If so, which ones and how?

thank you.
vzr

Re: do I need directx_Jun2010_redist.exe for Windows XP

Postby aker » 03.04.2014, 21:54

As it will be downloaded just once, it should be no problem, but if you want to just remove the directx-line from .\static\StaticDownloadLinks-win-glb.txt

But remember: an update of wsusou will reinsert it.

It is not possible to manually add this file, except you download it using wget from the URL defined in the static-file, as wsusou would detect it as a different file, delete it and redownload it.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby vzr » 03.04.2014, 23:37

I located the folder for \static\StaticDownloadLinks-win-glb.txt and deleted the line for the directx_Jun2010_redist.exe and it started to download the directx_Jun2010_redist.exe again as you mentioned. Unless, I did not locate the correct folder?

Is there no was to add this item to an exclude list?

Any way to pause-start a downloaded file in the middle?

thank you.
vzr

Postby aker » 04.04.2014, 06:07

The directx file has to be located at .\client\win\glb.
Start-Pause is possible, use the Task-Manager to kill "UpdateGenerator.exe" and wait for the rest of the process to finish.
I do not recommend, interrupting "DownloadUpdates.cmd" as this might damage your update repo.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Return to Installation / Updating