Didn't Work (Well, Kind of Worked)

Didn't Work (Well, Kind of Worked)

Postby peterinco » 15.11.2013, 00:54

I found out about WSUS Offline here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28656191-Windows-XP-Pro-SP3-fresh-install-won-t-update. There are all kinds of similar Windows update problems on the web.

I have an older XP computer that won't update. For years I had turn updates off and used programs like ccleaner. I tried the Windows fix-it programs and it still wouldn't update. I tried deleting and re-installing SP3 too.

I used WSUS Offline and it kind of worked, sort of... (I'll preface this by saying that the MS sites are really slow and unresponsive; eventually I categorize it as "doesn't work. Anyway, WSUS Offline found hundreds of updates, including IE8. I had trouble updating IE7 to 8; wsusoffline did update IE and indicated everything installed properly, but...

Today I went to the MS site and tried to update. The yellow icon popped up but 0% downloaded; the site indicated there were many updates found but they wouldn't download and install. So, 1) why are there more updates, today, when I just ran wsusoffline last night and 2) MS update (from the site or turned-on) still won't work (I thought, or hoped, updating to current would solve that; apparently it is a known problem solved by updates). Obviously, my only intention is to bridge the gap up until MS shuts off XP updates.

Any help is really appreciated. Vielen Dank.
peterinco

Re: Didn't Work (Well, Kind of Worked)

Postby Gerby » 15.11.2013, 08:33

Hello peterinco!

WSUS Offline Update only includes security updates. Take a look at Coverage of WSUS Offline Update (scroll down there for English text).

Unfortunately I cannot help you with your second problem (Windows Update). However, now you are on a more secure side after updating Windows XP with WSUS Offline Update.

Greetings
Gerby
Mach mit - der Übersichtlichkeit wegen! Füge Log-Auszüge als [Code] ein.
Make it clear! Insert log excerpts as [Code].
Gerby

Postby harry » 15.11.2013, 11:01

Maybe peterinco has the same problem as discussed in listing IDs of missing updates takes 50 minutes!
harry

Postby peterinco » 15.11.2013, 14:52

Thanks, but...

When I used the Windows Update webpage the next day I was able to view "recently installed updates." (FYI, this was new because one of the fixes I tried previous to WSUS Update was renaming my update folder, thereby removing old update logs). I admit I didn't study it too carefully (I was too bummed by the huge list of didn't work; I'll do that now) but what I did see is about 100 "essential security updates" that didn't download at all (the part I didn't follow is I didn't see ANY that installed correctly even though WSUS Offline indicated it worked).

Would WSUS Offline not work (fully)--even though it said it did--if I have all these common/known XP update problems? And, again, why wouldn't it install all the security updates present the next day.

Granted, I'm still fighting through the overall update problems but WSUS Update didn't seem to help with them. Plus, I still have the dreaded "100% CPU usage problem."
peterinco

Postby peterinco » 15.11.2013, 16:07

I realize there is a progression to some of these updates. WSUS Offline appears to be able to account for this.

Will running WSUS Offline help? I'm going to try it. Anything to avoid waiting and waiting and who knows on MS sites...
peterinco

Postby Gerby » 15.11.2013, 16:15

I'm not quite sure about your problems. What I can say:
  1. Windows' list of installed updates doesn't actually show all the updates that have been installed by WSUS offline update. This has been discussed somewhere in this forum before. (I will add a link when I find it.)
  2. Install the latest cumulative security update for Internet Explorer before you run the WSUS Offline Updater again. This should fix the long delay. You can find the installation file in the repository under /client/wxp/{your language}. The current IE update is KB2888505. Use the one that fits the installed IE version.
Mach mit - der Übersichtlichkeit wegen! Füge Log-Auszüge als [Code] ein.
Make it clear! Insert log excerpts as [Code].
Gerby

Postby harry » 15.11.2013, 16:26

@Gerby: Point 1. doesn't apply to Windows XP

(I think you meant this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3758)
harry

Return to Installation / Updating