Get updates from company owned WSUS server

Get updates from company owned WSUS server

Postby dlvonde » 08.11.2013, 05:37

Hello All,

We support a group of computers that are not allowed to access the internet and they get their updates from a WSUS server that gets it's updates from ANOTHER WSUS server that CAN access the internet. Most of our computers are network connected so they get their updates via SCCM, but we have approx. 150 that are stand-alone (not network connected).

I would love to be able to use WSUS Offline updater to update these stand-alone machines, but it seems to require us to go out to the internet to get the updates, which is not allowed in our environment. Is there a way I can make WSUS offline updater get the updates from our WSUS server instead of having to get them from the internet? I tried putting in our wsus server address but it kept failing. Is something misconfigured on our WSUS server or is WSUS Offline Updater only meant to get the updates directly from microsoft?

Thanks for you help! We are currently just downloading all the updates and running them all using a .bat file which is an incredibly tedious process, takes forever, and probably only 1/10th of the files actually end up installing because the rest aren't needed. We need to make a change!
dlvonde

Re: Get updates from company owned WSUS server

Postby Gerby » 08.11.2013, 11:01

Hello dlvonde!

There are a few files that cannot be downloaded from a WSUS server. Therefore an internet connection is mandatory for creating the update repository on your local computer. See also this thread: How to update from a WSUS Server

Please be also aware of this information: Coverage of WSUS Offline Update

Greetings
Gerby
Mach mit - der Übersichtlichkeit wegen! Füge Log-Auszüge als [Code] ein.
Make it clear! Insert log excerpts as [Code].
Gerby

Return to Installation / Updating