Install Updates with wuauserv disabled

Install Updates with wuauserv disabled

Postby davidmuk » 21.10.2013, 13:37

I have the increasingly common problem (judging by the number of posts google finds) whereby running windows update (wuauserv) causes it's associated svchost to swamp the cpu at 99% loading, which in my case just continues for many hours (at least 24 hours). Consequently I have the automatic updates service permanently disabled. There seems to be no other cure for this problem, and no sign of Microsoft fixing it!

I've rebuilt my XP laptop from the ground up using the manufacturers CD, manually downloaded installed SP2 and SP3 from the MS web site, which didn't cure the above problem. I've now tried to use WSUS to obtain and install all the updates post SP2. The download of the updates seems to have worked, but when I try to install them using the WSUS UpdateInstaller, it runs for a while then stops when it finds the update service disabled.

If I set the update service to manual, then rerun UpdateInstaller it runs until it starts the update service, then hangs with the "Listing ids of missing updates........", cpu sticks at 99% and 24 hours later is trying, with no disc activity, no internet traffic, and a VERY hot laptop!

As long as I don't use Windows Update again will this be a problem, eg has UpdateInstaller still got other things to do otherwise it won't have finished installing the updates, or won't run properly next time?

I have searched on here for wuauserv and read those threads (well the english ones anyway), but they don't seem to help with my problem and the runaway svchost.

Please help!
davidmuk

Re: Install Updates with wuauserv disabled

Postby Denniss » 21.10.2013, 15:28

There's a bug (or is it a feature?) in the microsoft update catalog causing XP systems with IE6/7 to hang while determining updates. This also affects Windozeupdate. Please install IE8, reboot and try again.
Denniss

Re: Install Updates with wuauserv disabled

Postby davidmuk » 21.10.2013, 15:32

I have IE8, and the problem is still there.
davidmuk

Return to Installation / Updating