Update Exe Files ?

Update Exe Files ?

Postby br4 » 23.05.2013, 19:08

I have a lot of .exe files in both enu and glb folders within my WSUS folder (on XP Pro SP3).

I'm assuming these are put there when WSUS performs the updates, correct? This morning I checked the status of my Office 2007 updates (in Excel 2007) and it did not show SP3 being loaded, but this update file is in one of the above mentioned folders. I downloaded the Office SP3 update, ran it, then checked again and I did see that it (Excel 2007) had the SP3 identifier. Does this mean the WSUS update of SP3 did not function properly?

Additionally, can I delete the .exe files noted above? These look like the same update files one would get from Microsoft's site. Why doesn't WSUS delete them after they are run and the updates are loaded?

Thank you for any assistance.
br4

Re: Update Exe Files ?

Postby aker » 23.05.2013, 22:09

I also had problems installing Office 2007 SP 3, wsusou tells, that it was installed, but it wasn't. Just install it manually, it should be faster than a normal sp installation.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby br4 » 23.05.2013, 23:59

Thank you for your reply. I did install the SP3 for Office 2007 myself and it's there.

As I noted, the.exe files in the WSUS directory look very similar to those update files I previously downloaded from Microsoft's site and, once I had executed the update file I would delete it.

Can I delete those .exe files in the various enu and glb folders without causing problems (they take up quite a bit of space)? And, why are they kept in the directory (I have 'clean up download directories' checked)?
br4

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 24.05.2013, 08:11

Hi!

Sorry, I can't reproduce this O2k7 SP3 problem (see
wou_o2k7_sp3.png
(20.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
).

Regards
Torsten Wittrock
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby br4 » 24.05.2013, 11:27

No problem on the Office SP3 issue for me, as I said I manually loaded it.

To my original issue: Can I delete those .exe files in the various enu and glb folders without causing problems (they take up quite a bit of space)? And why are they kept in the directory even though I have 'clean up download directories' checked? What does this clean up actually do?

If I can hijack my own thread, I was wondering if there were any thoughts about letting the users select which updates to install. Some other update software shows a list of updates and the user selects which one(s) to install, which is a nice feature.
br4

Postby aker » 24.05.2013, 15:34

@WSUSUpdateAdmin
Installed o2k7 on windows 7 x86 und ran wsusou. It told me, that the Sp was installed successfully, but in the next run it tried to install it again (again successfully). After a (successful) manual installation, that strange behaviour stopped.

@br4
If you delete the files, wsusou will download them again. wsusou was created for updating many computers without downloading the files for every computer.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 24.05.2013, 15:50

aker wrote:@WSUSUpdateAdmin
Installed o2k7 on windows 7 x86 und ran wsusou. It told me, that the Sp was installed successfully, but in the next run it tried to install it again (again successfully).[...]

Again, I can't reproduce this (see
wou_o2k7_sp3_second_attempt.png
(18.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
).
RTW
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby br4 » 25.05.2013, 00:13

Is it true that WSUS needs to have the downloaded update files in its folders to NOT download and install them again, even though they have already been installed? This seems very inefficient to me, if true.

Could someone from WSUS please confirm that if I were to delete the .exe update files (that have been installed) that WSUS would download and install them again, even though they have already been installed?
br4

Postby Denniss » 25.05.2013, 03:44

The opposite is true as the main goal for this program is to create a permanent offline storage of the most recent updates for the chosen Windows/Office.
If you delete the files they will be re-downloaded on the next run.
Denniss

Postby br4 » 25.05.2013, 12:11

Thank you for your notes.

I guess this isn't a good application for someone with only one computer.

Can you recommend a good application to use for Windows and Office updates (not including Microsoft)?
br4

Next

Return to Installation / Updating