Should w61 download updates regularly/automatically?

Should w61 download updates regularly/automatically?

Postby guy » 20.04.2013, 00:12

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out how automated the downloading of new updates is supposed to be in WSUSOffline83. It seems that after I have ran the generator a couple times it is not downloading 39 of the most recent updates for x64 and x32 Windows 7. I did attempt to statically add the download link and tell it to install and it was very cryptic to find out that it didn't work.

I am just looking to see if this should download updates as they come in or the best way that you have found to keep it up to date.

Thanks for your help in advance and I apologize if this has a simple answer somewhere, I have not found it yet.
guy

Re: Should w61 download updates regularly/automatically?

Postby boco » 20.04.2013, 10:26

WSUSOU does not download all updates, only security-critical ones. It is not meant to be a complete replacement for Windows/Microsoft Update.
See also here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=172

Usually you run the download part regularly (after Patch Tuesdays, for example) to refresh the update repository, and create the up-to-date ISOs/USB repos.

Quoting the FAQ
FAQ wrote:Q: Can I download/install additional patches?
A: Yes, you can adjust how the download and update scripts behave by excluding or adding patches from download or installation. For adding updates proceed as follows:

1. Adding updates to download routines

For adding an update to be downloaded, insert its download URL into the matching "StaticDownloadLinks-<platform>[-architecture>]-<language>.txt file, found in the ".\static" directory.

2. Adding updates to installation routines

Add an update to installation by inserting its knowledge base ID (KBxxxxxx or simply xxxxxx) into the matching "StaticUpdateIds-<platform>[-<architecture>].txt file (directory ".\client\static"). This update will then be installed every time, even if it was already installed.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Re: Should w61 download updates regularly/automatically?

Postby guy » 24.04.2013, 18:06

Thank you for the response boco, this helps greatly.
guy

Return to Installation / Updating