installer over network share

installer over network share

Postby beanpole83 » 09.04.2013, 13:17

This question i don't believe has been asked. I've read http://forums.wsusoffline.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=563&start=10&hilit=installer+task+schedule and have a question. in that post it was mentioned that the main hold back to why you can't autorecall for a network share is because the shared mapped drive isn't shared to all user profiles so when it reboots the share is not available. Is there a way we can manipulate the autologin code to temporarily autologin to the admin account (we have to supply the necessary username and valid password of course) instead of the WOUTempAdmin account? I mean if we map the software to the valid network share via the admin account initially couldn't we just force the system to auto login to the current account the drive was mapped and then just reboot to that account so it's available to the software again?

Either that or on the autorecall command after reboot into the WOUTempAdmin account couldn't we just add a line of code that remaps the drive before tryin the updates?

I've noticed that after running the offline utility to update windows 7 systems and xp systems that the share is still available if i log back into the admin account. And also that if i call the doupdate command properly that the system takes off again without a hitch. Maybe this is a oversight on my part.

And one other thing, on some systems the autorecall actually finds the folder after reboot (not sure how, sometimes it doesn't and just hangs up, i can't recreate it reliably yet) it asks for a administrator name and password. Is there a way i can hard code that into the script anywhere?

Thanks.
beanpole83

Re: installer over network share

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 09.04.2013, 20:48

Hi!

This should be solved for shares allowing anonymous access.
For others, there's no solution expected.

RTW
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby beanpole83 » 10.04.2013, 11:59

I've allowed anonymous and everyone permissions on my shared folders that hold the client data for the installer.exe command. But when the system reboots and recalls it properly calls the shared folder that was mapped but in the command prompt it still asks for a username and password for the folder. I'm just not sure what i'm doing wrong with that. i'm currently searching other forums and sites making sure i set up my shared folders and permissions right. I know when i had simple file sharing enabled for the xp systems it didn't ask but since i went to classic now it's asking. I figure it has something to do with they way i have permissions setup (like not having one check box marked) or something i overlooked.

Thanks for the reply. I'll post again if i find anything.
beanpole83

Postby boco » 10.04.2013, 19:31

From what I know anonymous access uses the Guest account which is disabled, usually.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby beanpole83 » 12.04.2013, 15:56

Thanks for the reply.

I guess my thing about this is that why does this software create a temp account in the first place. all my pc's are already set to auto login to an admin account. is there some script changes to the recall command that i can make to just reboot and look for the recall file instead of creating and rebooting into a whole other acocunt? I'm still playin with the script a little bit. i got it to just restart if recall_required was 1. that works perfectly and boots right back into the admin account. i'm just trying to get it to call again and finish the updates after rebooting. right now i just manually start it again.
beanpole83

Postby cecinit » 14.04.2013, 23:00

I noticed something today that seems to apply to Vista ... don't know about XP,
and doesn't seem to be a problem for Windows 7.

The shares aren't completely mapped at startup/login in Vista.
They don't work right in cmd or bat files - they're not there,
even tho Explorer can see/browse them.

I found (fixing an Adobe install script) that I had to do
Code: Select all
net use drive: \\host\share
to finish the mapping in a cmd window to run a certain script.
I then ran the WSUS Offline update & it worked; without it,
the WSUS Offline service fails with a strange error.
(This had been going on for a while, I gave up on it, & just
used a flash drive to update this Vista machine).

I don't know how to test for this condition easily - should be doable.
cecinit

Postby boco » 15.04.2013, 04:48

That's the fault of UAC, technically. Both user tokens (unelevated and elevated) are separate. For maximum compatibility you need to map the drive two times: Once in a normal shell and once in an elevated one.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Return to Installation / Updating