Bootstrap update

Bootstrap update

Postby mission » 18.03.2013, 08:42

Hi,

First of all thumb up for a great project!

I've created a set od batch scripts for SW install.

1. I run the "DoUpdate.cmd" with cmd line switches (reboot disabled). At the end it prompts for a reboot (which I don't to do want at this point)
2. The script continues with my custom SW install
3. Here I'd like to restart the machine with the "DoUpdate.cmd" prepared for run after restart
4. Force a restart after the script prepares the "run after reboot"

I've tried a few ideas but I cannot get it to run ("DoUpdate.cmd" needs elevated permissions).

The question: Can I somehow call the WSUS method that prepares the machine for restart (WUO temp admin, runonceex entry...) from my script? My script is started with elevated permissions (so this shouldn't be a problem).

Thank you!
mission

Re: Bootstrap update

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 18.03.2013, 16:58

Hi and welcome, mission!

Please try this:
  • In ...\client\software\custom, rename "InstallCustomSoftware.cmdt" to "InstallCustomSoftware.cmd".
  • Fill "InstallCustomSoftware.cmd" with calls to your custom SW installation scripts.
  • Run the updating process with reboot option.
Regards
Torsten Wittrock
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Re: Bootstrap update

Postby mission » 18.03.2013, 18:26

Hi,

Thank you for your answer... but that's no good for me. My custom install script asks me what to install (from my custom SW) at script init. If I was to use your solution I would lose that...

Actually I found out that if I call: "x:\DoUpdate.cmd /autoreboot" after the end of my custom SW install the script continues just fine (without the requested reboot in the 1. step).

Is it a bug or a feature? :D

I've basically achived what I wanted and it seems to be working...

Thank you !
mission

Return to Installation / Updating