Installer hangs at Listing ids of missing updates...

Re: Installer hangs at Listing ids of missing updates...

Postby rx8pilot » 06.12.2016, 00:09

FWIW - I captured this earlier. 'The add-package option is unknown" does not sound good.
Attachments
update_1244.png
(28.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
rx8pilot

Postby rx8pilot » 06.12.2016, 05:24

I think I managed to find a smoking gun or at least close enough to it to find a solution.

My system would not start TrustedInstaller (Windows Modules Installer) apparently due do some sort of an error in the registry. When WSUS returned some of its errors and Aker pointed out that the Update Agent was old - I tried to manually install an update agent with WindowsUpdateAgent-7.6-x64 but it returned an unrecoverable error trying to do the update.
Another clue was that SFC/ scannow would not run because it could not start the repair service. After some looking around, I found that this was likely because Windows Module Installer would not start, returned error 1067, and terminated. I used a utility from http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html to help repair the registry entries related to the Windows Module Installer. I had just done a fresh image of the system, so I was not too worried about this tool which is very heavy handed. The repairs were done in Safe Mode, and when the PC booted back up, Windows Modules Installer was working fine. I then updated the Windows Update Agent successfully and also manually installed KB3135445, both of them would not install before. I rebooted and now the normal Windows Update is working normal. It quickly found 149 updates, downloaded them and is installing them right now.

The utility from Tweaking.com is not a 'registry cleaner' it is a troubleshooter that spends a lot of time and effort fixing issues in the registry. It does allow the user to control how heavy it gets applied and provides resources to backup the registry and create a restore point if things go bad. I personally had a fresh offline image made to my NAS since I had no idea if this was going to fix anything or permanently obliterate my machine. Turns out that it worked and things are looking up. This machine has gone through the ringer and I can hardly believe it is nearly back to tip top shape with all my special licenses, settings, and configurations intact. The crash and subsequent restore failure was quite a challenge. The registry hives in particular were corrupted when the machine was imaged.

Very thankful for the help of this utility and the support of the forum.
rx8pilot

Postby dunkeltuten » 06.12.2016, 11:20

CT OFFLINE UPDATE hangs permanently "listing ids of missing update" (CPU 100%) ????
Here is my WORKAROUND:
Just open a new DOS-Box and type: net stop wuaserv && net start wuaserv [ENTER]
A few seconds later the DOS-BOX with the hanging message "listing ids of missing update" will go on normaly ;-)
Best greetings from (north-) germany
Yours Dunkeltuten
dunkeltuten

Postby boco » 06.12.2016, 13:40

Please note that might miss some updates as you aborted the detection process (that uses WU).

The correct procedure is: Set WU to NEVER check for updates, reboot, then start WSUSOU.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby ShmooZ » 20.12.2016, 17:05

The command line did not work for me with the & & symobols so I tried without...still didn't work.

So...THIS worked though:

Run -> services.msc

Windows Update set to manual, stop, start...BOOM!

I registered just to post this, just in case anyone else encounters this issue.
ShmooZ

Postby aker » 20.12.2016, 19:01

n wsusou fails to determine the missing updates. This is NOT recommended, if you want wsusou to work.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby cmschube » 22.12.2016, 12:49

http://wu.krelay.de/en/

I've set up the InitializationHook to install the two bolded updates based on the site listed above:
KB3177467
KB3172605

(the newer KB gets installed first, as it's a prereq for the second)

After the install completed successfully, the InitializationHook then creates a flag file to tell itself upon subsequent runs that they've been installed already and not to run them again (if exist "flag file" goto end is the first line of my InitizationHook). Then it creates another flag file to tell the DoUpdate.cmd that it needs a reboot (the DoUpdate.cmd looks for a reboot_requrired.txt in c:\windows\temp), which sets the RECALL_REQUIRED variable to 1 and drops down to the ManualRecall routine. Machine reboots and I start up again.

With this approach, I've seen machines that have sat for days (one was started last Friday morning and finally finished the scan Saturday night), finish up in about 5 minutes.

Hope this helps someone. I did have to hack up the DoUpdate.cmd a little bit to add the reboot after the InitializationHook script, but that wasn't too difficult.
cmschube

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 22.12.2016, 14:29

Hi.

cmschube wrote:I've set up the InitializationHook to install the two bolded updates based on the site listed above:
KB3177467
KB3172605
[...]

Why?
This is done by the scan prerequisites' installation.

RTW
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby cmschube » 24.12.2016, 12:48

Sorry - I should have been more clear. I'm talking for Windows 7. I see in the code (DoUpdate.cmd) that it will install the Servicing Updates for 8.1/2012R2, but not for Windows 7..

Unless I'm missing something?
cmschube

Postby Dalai » 24.12.2016, 16:16

WSUS Offline installs prerequisite updates on Vista, Win7 and Win8.1, as well as their server counterparts (2008, 2008 R2 and 2012 R2). See files wsusoffline\client\static\StaticUpdateIds-wupre-w*.txt where the updates are listed.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

PreviousNext

Return to Installation / Updating