Installer hangs at Listing ids of missing updates...

Re: Installer hangs at Listing ids of missing updates...

Postby Howlingwolf » 14.11.2016, 15:22

aker wrote:Could you provide the files C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log and C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\DISM.log of a freshly installed system, which has the error?
[Please clear the 2 folders, then run the installation and post the files then (just to keep the logs as short as possible and prevent misinterpretations)]

Sorry about the delay in replying. I'm in the middle of re-decorating which means I don't have a lot of time (or energy) left over for anything else at the moment.

I've also come to the conclusion I shouldn't 'dash off a quick post' when I almost falling asleep at the keyboard.

What I actually meant to say was, an obvious workaround would be to insert yet another restart between the RDC update and the scan prerequisites. A more permanent fix would have to be left to someone who knows more about the internal workings of windows update and wsusoffline.

In keeping with which I tried to attach the log files you requested but I kept getting an error msg about the extension not being allowed (7z, zip, log, txt). Is there an alternative format or method which would get round this?

---

This is the workaround for anyone who wants to try it:-

PLEASE NOTE: I have only tried this on Windows 7 SP1 as it's the only version I have.

Open wsusoffline\client\cmd\DoUpdate.cmd in a text editor and search for :SkipTSCInst which should take you to the end of the following code block:

Code: Select all
rem *** Install most recent Remote Desktop Client ***

<snip>...

set REBOOT_REQUIRED=1
:SkipTSCInst

Replace the set REBOOT_REQUIRED=1 line with the following:

Code: Select all
rem *** Workaround for KB3172605 failure ***
set RECALL_REQUIRED=1
goto Installed
rem *** End Workaround ***

Then rebuild the iso(s).

This will insert an extra restart between the remote desktop client update and the windows update scan prerequisites as mentioned above. After this, the scan duration dropped to around 10~15 minutes across multiple tests (depending on vm host load).
Howlingwolf

Postby SirLoinOfBeef » 26.11.2016, 05:31

The software on my PC is currently stuck at Listing ids.....
I just rebuilt Win7 and just now I disabled the anti-virus scanning but so far nothing.
Is there anything I can look at that would tell me why the "Listing ids" started at 14:39 and as of 22:31 it has not moved past that line?
SirLoinOfBeef

Postby aker » 26.11.2016, 10:09

Please set Windows Update to "Never search for updates", reboot and try again. But even with all bugfixes, the search will still take some time (but less than 1h).
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby victormuscles » 26.11.2016, 11:00

thanks for the hint about changing windows update to do not check.

what i have noticed with the windows update bug in general, is that it maxes out 1 core in the PC (ie 50% / 25% / 12% etc) depending on the processor. Another thing that i do is when going into task manager, i add the columns for I/O read bytes and I/O write bytes. the WSUS bug will reach a certain byte count and stay there.

I discovered your product only today as i am working on a Toshiba Laptop from 2011 and according to WU update history has no updates since 2011 except for 1 item in 2014. Anyhow, the complaint was that the laptop was sluggish and getting hot. Having the bug running the CPU at 50% will most certainly reduce battery life and make it warm.

Anyhow tonight i attempted to install, and i got 4 failures on the Remote desktop and then got stuck on the listing ids. Since changing to never check for updates. i terminated the cmd and rebooted. When it started up again, all 4 RDC updates went through. it also stopped and started the wuauserv service and is now performing the listing ids.

However, going into Task manager, i am seeing the byte counts on the associated svchost entry is chahinh and i am also see fluctuation in CPU % and trusted installer also gets a look in. So i can only hope this is promising.

I do have a query. a number of sites suggest fixing the WU bug by stopping the service, aloing with the BITS service and then removing the appropriate files in the windows directory. Is it harmful to a PC if this was applied here ?

Rgds
Phill D.
victormuscles

Postby victormuscles » 26.11.2016, 15:17

further more - i continued to have issues.

on other pc's i had simply installed the july windows update hotfix and it fixed their stuck situation. on this pc it was not applicable, at the time i thought it was the wrong archictecture or something-

now the hanging on listing ids continued, so I interrupted that. i then stopped the bits service along with the wsus service and deleted the folders under software distribution tree. had issues doing that as i needed to stop other services as files were in use (i should have gone into safe mode to do this) anyhow - rebooting and some updates got processed, and then the tempadmin login and cmd file restarted - got stuck again.

This time, i thought, perhaps the latest WS update client has been installed, so how about trying the july patch again - this time it got installed - you need to stop the WSUS service though "it continues to search for updates". so after install, i rebooted and this time the listed ids took 12 minutes to complete and i had 158 updates to apply.. a really happy camper so far...

minor issue - i must have done something to the cmd prompt window - coz it got stuck on a onenote update - killed the window - rebooted - process started again - listed ids took only 8 minutes - completed the last 15 updates and rebooted one final time- returning to the standard account.
victormuscles

Postby victormuscles » 26.11.2016, 23:57

One final comment from my above experience. after completing this and the laptop went back to the standard login. i changed the update check settings back to advise but dont download and performed a check update- 95 updates appeared in the list including IE11 ... so at least its working and now i am installing the updates in the traditional method..
victormuscles

Postby Elwood » 27.11.2016, 13:06

Here (Win7 SP1), I just had to install the Windows Update Agent and reboot, to make the "listing ids" shorter.
I didn't find the corresponding KB that tells about this update as there are several of them: KB949104 or KB2887535
Elwood

Postby aker » 27.11.2016, 23:19

wsusou already installs the most recent Update Agent by installing the July 2016 rollup.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

aker

Postby rx8pilot » 01.12.2016, 02:01

So far I have been unsuccessful applying updates. This tool, however, has allowed me to get much further than any other method. The first attempt managed to get .NET and C++ runtimes updated, but found itself in an endless loop of failure/reboot on the vcredist2015_x64. I don't think any of the KB's were installed.

I started over and like the OP, it is stuck on 'Listing Ids' for a bit over 2 hours with no CPU or HDD activity to speak of. Any attempt to manually install prereq's is met with endless checking system for updates. I don't mind waiting, just hoping to avoid waiting for nothing if at all possible and have some idea when it is time to bail out and try something else. It is stunning how challenging it is to get updates, thankful for this tool and the forum to offer a glimmer of hope. Did bailing out of the original attempt leave the system in a bad state that would cause the process to hang on this?

Win7 x64 Pro, i7 12 core, 24GB RAM. Fresh repair install - everything seems to be working otherwise.
rx8pilot

Postby aker » 01.12.2016, 22:14

Do you have a screenshot of the cmd and the last part of C:\Windows\wsusofflineupdate.log for me?
aker

aker

PreviousNext

Return to Installation / Updating