Not instaling all updates?

Not instaling all updates?

Postby bmo98 » 30.11.2011, 10:49

Hi,

I must be doing something wrong as i run updategenerator.exe then choose updates for win7 x32 (dotnet, ie9, cpp) on each machine i deploy updateinstaller.exe on average 30-34 updates get installed (this is great program!) but upon connecting the machine to my bad net connection it say on windows update 30 important updates found and no matter how many time i run updateinstaller.exe it not install any more. Am i doing something wrong? should i need to modify any ini file?
bmo98

Re: Not instaling all updates?

Postby harry » 30.11.2011, 11:55

harry

Postby paul1149 » 02.12.2011, 23:48

Thanks, harry. I was just going to post the same question, so thanks also, bmo.

The post you referenced was very helpful, but I can't help but wonder why WSUS doesn't sync itself to Important downloads rather than critical, since Important is the cut-off level that the Windows updater uses for automatic updates. As such, I think that most would want to update to that level, so that further downloading and updating would not be necessary.

Otherwise, really appreciate WSUS.
paul1149

Postby boco » 03.12.2011, 00:50

WSUSOU uses the catalog file from Microsoft (wsusscn2.cab) to determine its updates. This catalog only contains security related updates (to satisfy the MS security baseline analyzer). Updates not included in the catalog are not deemed security-related (and thus not necessary) by MS. As far as I know there's no further catalog file available.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby paul1149 » 03.12.2011, 01:24

I wonder then how that corresponds to the "Important" updates that Win7 presents to the user, both when manually updating or when setting how Windows Update acts automatically. I think it would be a big asset to have WSUS align with this behavior, because a lot of manual updating would be eliminated.

I'm just breaking in a new Win7 box. It called for five "Important" updates. Rather than have Windows do it, I fired up WSUS and updated its database and then ran its installation. On rebooting, I was presented with the same five "Important" updates by Windows Update.
paul1149

Postby boco » 03.12.2011, 04:09

I already told you it's not possible. Microsoft Update uses a different source for determining updates, which is, to my knowledge, not available to WSUSOU.

And please note the intent of WSUSOU is NOT to be a complete patch collection (there are many such update packs available in the web). WSUS's only use is to bring a new system to a patch level where it is safe to connect to the internet to load the remaining updates.

Of course WSUSOU allows you to define your own updates to include. But having to maintain a static update list is exactly what we don't want.
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby paul1149 » 03.12.2011, 05:00

Ok, thanks.
paul1149

Postby bartgrefte » 15.01.2012, 11:45

boco wrote:I already told you it's not possible. Microsoft Update uses a different source for determining updates, which is, to my knowledge, not available to WSUSOU.

And please note the intent of WSUSOU is NOT to be a complete patch collection (there are many such update packs available in the web). WSUS's only use is to bring a new system to a patch level where it is safe to connect to the internet to load the remaining updates.

Of course WSUSOU allows you to define your own updates to include. But having to maintain a static update list is exactly what we don't want.

If you are referring to the updatepacks on the RyanVM forum, I use those to update my XP-SP3 installation source. But, just out of curiosity, are there any alternatives for WSUSOU out there that download all updates (not just the really essential security fixes) and create an automated installation disc just like WSUSOU does?
bartgrefte

Postby boco » 15.01.2012, 21:40

None that I'm aware of. It's difficult to maintain complete update lists for multiple languages. Thus WSUSOU takes the approach to use WSUSSCN2.CAB for determining updates (another reason was the issue with Microsoft taking down so called update packs back then). There doesn't exist any (public) Microsoft catalog containing all updates. Even the one currently used by WSUSOU is in no ways error-free. :?
boco

Postby jelabarre » 07.02.2013, 22:29

The big problem though is I like to have all the updates available offline so that I don't use up my capped bandwidth at home. I would like some way to at least get a script to download the rest of the files I need, so I can get them on a fast/unrestricted connection. Debian's "apt-zip" command is a good example; it checks on what needs to be installed and makes a download script to pull the files down for later use. Is there a way to run a query for MSUpdate for the info?
jelabarre

Next

Return to Installation / Updating