Include only certain updates?

Include only certain updates?

Postby rmryan » 26.11.2011, 18:57

I have a client that has 6 servers and some XP workstations running software from a vendor that only approves certain updates. These machines are also on a completely isolated network with no internet access. I have a list (KBxxxxx) of the updates that they have approved, and I would like to use WSUS Offline to only install those updates.

I did read in the FAQ the question:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Can I skip the dynamical update determination during downloading/installation in order to use my statical definitions only?
A: Yes.
To avoid dynamical update URL determination during download, add "skipdynamic=Enabled" to the [Miscellaneous] section of your UpdateGenerator.ini file.
To avoid dynamical update ID determination during installation, set "skipdynamic=Enabled" in the [Installation] section of your UpdateInstaller.ini file.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I would set "skipdynamic" in the UpdateInstaller.ini file, but where exactly would I add the list of approved updates? I think the word "statical" in the FAQ is what is confusing me, as it would seem to imply that I'm looking to install static updates, and I'm not (at least as WSUSOU seems to define "static" updates).
rmryan

Re: Include only certain updates?

Postby aker » 27.11.2011, 11:20

Look at this UpdateInstaller.ini File (Trac).
There is a line
Code: Select all
skipdynamic=Disabled
. Just set it tu
Code: Select all
skipdynamic=Enabled

In the folder .\client\static\ are files Called "StaticUpdateIds-<OS>-<ARCH>.txt", just add the ids of the updates, which should be installed.

If you want to install the Update package "WindowsXP-KB2616310-x86-ENU.exe", add "2616310" to .\client\static\StaticUpdateIds-wxp-x86.txt.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby rmryan » 27.11.2011, 14:54

In the folder .\client\static\ are files Called "StaticUpdateIds-<OS>-<ARCH>.txt", just add the ids of the updates, which should be installed.

If you want to install the Update package "WindowsXP-KB2616310-x86-ENU.exe", add "2616310" to .\client\static\StaticUpdateIds-wxp-x86.txt.

Thanks so much, aker! I look forward to testing.

Rich
rmryan

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 28.11.2011, 09:54

Hi Rich,

WSUS Offline Update traditionally does dynamical determination (see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=172), combined with "blacklisting" (see directories ...\exclude for download and ...\client\exclude for installation).

For convenience, users may add their own definitions in the "custom" directories below the above-mentioned ones in order to avoid overwriting by an update of WOU itself.

Additionally, users always were able to define updates statically for both downloading and updating (see directories ...\static{\custom} and ...\client\static{\custom}, so called "whitelisting".

So we had blacklisting ("Download/Install everything except for what I don't want") and additional whitelisting ("Download/Install what I want"), but we didn't have whitelisting only ("Download/Install nothing but only what I want")

That's where the new feature ("skipdynamic=Enabled") comes in. Using this, you can avoid/skip the dynamical determination and use "whitelisting only" instead.

You may decide whether "skipdynamic" suits to your "use case", for downloading, updating, both or none.

To supplement aker's posting, please keep in mind to prefer the "custom" directories.

I hope this clarifies.

Regards
Torsten Wittrock
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby rmryan » 28.11.2011, 20:49

So that I'm 100% certain I understand, if I put my own "StaticUpdateIds-wxp-x86.txt" under client\static\custom, when I run UpdateInstaller it will use the custom one for an XP machine rather than the (currently blank) existing one in the "static" directory?

Thank you so much. I was actually with my client today, and WSUSOffline is going to make his life much easier, and he knows it.
rmryan

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 28.11.2011, 21:44

Hi!

rmryan wrote:So that I'm 100% certain I understand, if I put my own "StaticUpdateIds-wxp-x86.txt" under client\static\custom, when I run UpdateInstaller it will use the custom one for an XP machine rather than the (currently blank) existing one in the "static" directory?

It won't use it rather, but in addition, which of course gives the same result if one of the files is empty, yes.

rmryan wrote:Thank you so much. I was actually with my client today, and WSUSOffline is going to make his life much easier, and he knows it.

You're welcome. :)

RTW
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Return to Installation / Updating