Further batch automation from NAS

Further batch automation from NAS

Postby bradgillap » 25.05.2011, 16:35

I update several different machines a day so I have been using a NAS to store the WSUS offline and client folder. I execute this batch file but I wish to further script this and automate it. I'm just not sure how to go about it.

It takes several reboots to get through all of the updates as well. So I'd like something I can just click and walk away, have it reboot and continue updating on the next reboot until it can't find anymore updates. Currently, I map the NAS to a drive letter to make things act a little more native at least.

Here is my current batch that I execute on machines. I have the ini file preconfigured to check certain boxes.

net use Z: \\192.168.0.150\Volume_1\Repairs\winupdates\client
Z:\UpdateInstaller.exe
bradgillap

Re: Further batch automation from NAS

Postby bradgillap » 25.05.2011, 16:54

I checked out the faq and but my automatic reboot and recall is grey. The faq says this

The check boxes' availability is dependent on platform, update medium and package installation state.

I don't even understand what that means. I'm assuming it's talking about discs so it probably doesn't have anything to do with updating from the nas.. I dunno,
bradgillap

Re: Further batch automation from NAS

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 25.05.2011, 18:39

Hi!

The FAQs also say:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Can I start update installation from a shared network resource?
A: Yes, if the resource in question has been assigned a drive letter ("Map network drive" feature or "net use" command). Direct calls using UNC paths won't work, as they are not supported by command line scripts. Also you can't use the "Automatic reboot and recall" feature, as the shared resources may not be available for the temporary user account "WOUTempAdmin".
Please note that installing patches over the network is against the philosophy of an Offline update, and the machine may be vulnerable to attacks while the update process is still in progress.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See also viewtopic.php?f=5&t=793&start=10#p4449.

Regards
Torsten Wittrock
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Return to Installation / Updating