Automatic restart when updating from network share

Automatic restart when updating from network share

Postby brutus90 » 04.04.2011, 18:27

I currently have WSUS Offline Update on a computer in my office, and when I go to update any particular computer, I map a network drive and then run update.exe from the client folder. It runs just fine, but it will not automatically restart and continue. Most of the time the Automatically Restart checkbox isn't check-able, but sometimes it is (usually under Vista), but it doesn't seem to matter if it's checked or not. Am I missing some type of setting or do I need to add something to make this continue like it would/does when I use a cd?

Thank you so much for any help you can give me!

Opps, sorry - it's actually UpdateInstaller.exe that I'm running, not update.exe.

:oops:
Last edited by harry on 04.04.2011, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Beiträge zusammengeführt
brutus90

Re: Automatic restart when updating from network share

Postby Gerby » 05.04.2011, 11:48

Hi Brutus and welcome to the forum!

From the FAQ found in the doc directory:
Q: Can I start update installation from a shared network resource?
A: Yes, if the resource in question has been assigned a drive letter ("Map network drive" feature or "net use" command). Direct calls using UNC paths won't work, as they are not supported by command line scripts. Also you can't use the "Automatic reboot and recall" feature, as the shared resources may not be available for the temporary user account "WSUSUpdateAdmin".
Please note that installing patches over the network is against the philosophy of an Offline update, and the machine may be vulnerable to attacks while the update process is still in progress.

Greetz
Gerby
Mach mit - der Übersichtlichkeit wegen! Füge Log-Auszüge als [Code] ein.
Make it clear! Insert log excerpts as [Code].
Gerby

Return to Installation / Updating