Updates not downloading/installing

Updates not downloading/installing

Postby swatts007 » 08.12.2016, 22:55

Hello all,

I am new here but not new to the IT world.

I downloaded the latest offline update file, unzipped and clicked on the update generator. I selected updates for office 2016 x64, C++, windows 10 x64, and Windows Server 2012 R2.

After the download completes and I click on the update installer it goes through and installs all the update packages for the aforementioned software I have installed on my machine. In this case, I am specifically referring to Windows 10 with Office 2016. After I do this update a few times and then run a Nessus scan is states that none of the Office 2016 updates are being installed which is forcing me to update each update manually. Can someone in the know take a look at this or does someone else have the problem that the offline updater is not downloading the updates for Office 2016 Pro Plus?

Please help, this is very frustrating since the tool is not downloading any of the category "High" updates for Office 2016.

Thanks
swatts007

Re: Updates not downloading/installing

Postby Dalai » 08.12.2016, 23:35

For Office see :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3724

Furthermore, there are different versions/editions of Office, called Click2Run which - from what I understand so far - can't be updated with WSUS Offline. There's a high probability that you're using such edition. IIRC there is at least one Click2Run service running when such Office is installed, so it's really easy to find out.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby swatts007 » 09.12.2016, 11:38

Thanks for the info. I am indeed running the clicktorun service. Is there a version of Office 2016 that you can install that does not have the click to run service as part of the install? If so, which version should I be using to get updates for Office 2016 using wsus offline? Can someone help point me in the right direction? I have a MSDN account so can download any version I need.
swatts007

Postby swatts007 » 09.12.2016, 11:54

Dalai,

Thanks again for the explanation. The link you inserted only refers to Office 2013. Also, in the gui of wsusoffline there is an office button with download options for several different versions of Office including 2016. Do you know if they actually work for Office 2016 or is there something else I need to do assuming I have a non click to run version?
swatts007

Postby Dalai » 09.12.2016, 14:29

swatts007 wrote:The link you inserted only refers to Office 2013.

It also applies to Office 2016.

Also, in the gui of wsusoffline there is an office button with download options for several different versions of Office including 2016.

True, but as I said, it's only for Non-Click2Run editions.

AFAIK Non-Click2Run editions are only available per volume licensing, so no end-user can get their hands on them. Unfortunately, I'm not the most qualified person to answer the questions because I've been struggling with this issue on and off for a couple of months now, and I still don't know exactly how it works - it's a really dense jungle of licenses, editions and differences Microsoft has created...

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby swatts007 » 09.12.2016, 19:45

Thanks for your help.
swatts007

Postby boco » 10.12.2016, 02:08

Correct, only the so called 'Volume' Office ISOs are classic installations (non-C2R). Classic installations are serviced through WU, while C2R uses its own system. As WSUSOU uses WU, C2R versions are out.

The 'Volume' ISOs have a few additional license files so they can be Volume-activated (KMS/MAK). To my knowledge, installations from 'Volume' ISOs can be activated with the normal RETAIL and OEM keys, too. You just have to get your hands on it.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Return to Installation / Updating