Several problems with WSUSO download

Several problems with WSUSO download

Postby cdgoldin » 19.10.2017, 14:44

1) On 18 October 2017, I attempted to run WSUSOffline\UpdateGenerator.exe (file version 11.0.3.904) from Windoze 10 (64-bit Version 1703). The script produced the following error messages, and stopped running:

Starting WSUS Offline Update download (v. 11.0.3) for w61 glb...
Access is denied.
Access is denied.
Access is denied.
Access is denied.
Access is denied.
Access is denied.
Access is denied.
Access is denied.
Checking for sufficient file system rights...
Access is denied.

ERROR: Unable to rename file ..\doc\history.txt
ERROR: Insufficient file system rights.
Access is denied.

I receive the same result running the script from Windoze 10 (32-bit Version 1709). However, the script runs just fine from Windows 7 (32-bit version). Why can't I run it from Windoze 10? My WSUSOffline folder is on a 64GB USB "thumbdrive". Is this perhaps a factor?

2) When I ran the script from W7, it ran out of space on the USB drive. Although it logged "insufficient space" messages to the console, the script continued execution, and I didn't realize that most of my download was unsuccessful until much later. Then I had to make space on the drive, and rerun everything, using up another 2 hours and 4GB of expensive bandwidth. The log file only shows "unsuccessful download" for the various files, without the "insufficient space" message, so if I had missed the console messages as they flashed by, I would have no idea what the problem was. It seems to me that the script should halt when a download fails (for any reason), and that the log file should provide (at the least) the same information as appeared on the console log.
cdgoldin

Re: Several problems with WSUSO download

Postby Dalai » 19.10.2017, 15:39

cdgoldin wrote:My WSUSOffline folder is on a 64GB USB "thumbdrive". Is this perhaps a factor?

I guess it's formatted with NTFS. To check, right-click on your drive, select Properties and see which file-system is shown. Can you create a directory and/or file manually in that wsusoffline directory (e.g. in Explorer)? If not, you have to change the NTFS permissions on that directory before you can write to it.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Re: Several problems with WSUSO download

Postby cdgoldin » 20.10.2017, 03:00

Dalai wrote:
cdgoldin wrote:My WSUSOffline folder is on a 64GB USB "thumbdrive". Is this perhaps a factor?

I guess it's formatted with NTFS. To check, right-click on your drive, select Properties and see which file-system is shown. Can you create a directory and/or file manually in that wsusoffline directory (e.g. in Explorer)? If not, you have to change the NTFS permissions on that directory before you can write to it.
Dalai

Yes. It is formatted with NTFS. Yes, I CAN create a directory and/or file manually in that wsusoffline directory. In fact, I can rename the /WSUSoffline/history.txt file that the script complained about not being able to rename. However, to do so, I needed "administrator" privileges.... OK, that was the problem. I was executing the script via "Start > Run" instead of from a command prompt with administrator rights (and normally I run it from W7 where this isn't a problem for some reason). Thank you.
cdgoldin

Return to Download