Supported OSs and latest versions?

Supported OSs and latest versions?

Postby DreadStorm » 05.06.2017, 08:42

Good evening/morning. I'm new here, but spent some time tinkering around with your utility for some time. But now things have gotten a bit down-to-the-wire.

I tried to search out my answers, but only found a few, so I have to ask...

Can someone tell me which versions to get that support the older OSs?
For example, I DID find that 6.6.5 was the last to support Win2K. And I grabbed it. But can someone tell me which one was the last to support XP?
And even better, Any older ones? For example, the last to support 98? ME? ;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DreadStorm

Re: Supported OSs and latest versions?

Postby Dalai » 05.06.2017, 14:04

It's really simple: Grab the latest one and check the following file: wsusoffline\doc\history.txt. In there, you'll find information about which version is the last one supporting Windows version XYZ. Note that you'll most likely not be able to download updates for older Windows versions such as Win2k and maybe even XP because Microsoft has pulled them; there's nothing WSUS Offline can do about it. Windows 9x/ME was never supported by WSUS Offline.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby boco » 05.06.2017, 18:12

XP: 9.2.1

Win2k - Doesn't work, anymore.

Older OS - Never supported by any ctOU / WOU.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby DreadStorm » 05.06.2017, 21:12

I wonder...

Now, I haven't tried it yet, but Win2K might still be accessible from the update.microsoft.com address. I'm only saying this because I just set up an XP machine 2 days ago, and I had to manually install 3 updates to get WU to run (Silverlight - so it'll activate Microsoft Update - Windows Installer 4.5 and Update Agent 3.0). But after that, XP updated like it always did. I'm assuming that 2K might still update if those two things are installed, because 2K and XP both used the same version of Windows Update in their time.

As far as 9x/ME goes, at least I still have all the original installers so I can install them manually - or create a batch. heh

But I'll take your advice, and just grab ZIPs around the time of XP's discontinuation and look around. Thanks for the feedback, folks.
DreadStorm

Postby boco » 06.06.2017, 04:07

Regarding XP, please note that WOU will cover only the original patches up to April 2014 when XP EOL'd. The WES/POSReady updates you get when doing the registry hack (thus creating a FrankenBuild) are not and were never a part of WOU.

Regarding W2K, we already had one problem topic not long ago. Seems that at least the IE6 downloads already vanished from the MS servers.

Regarding all old OS, do you know http://mdgx.com? Lots of resources for things gone by, including update packs for old OS. Also, keep an eye on the KernelEx project, it might make old OS more useful.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby DreadStorm » 21.07.2017, 09:13

You guys are awesome. I've been out of touch for a long while, but (fortunately) I remembered my login. heh

I discovered something rather surprising in my own software archives. Brace yourselves.

I don't know if it was an old version of this app, or another program, but I appear to have downloaded a ton of updates for Win2K, Server 2003, XP, Exchange, and a number of other things. Here's a screen clip. Note the folder tree.

All independent executables, rather than .cab files.

I know it's not all of them by today's standard, but it's a starting point for those missing any of them. (Yes, I'm willing to share 'em!)
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Note the folder tree and format of the updates.
(48.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DreadStorm

Postby ChrisUK » 30.07.2017, 21:15

DreadStorm wrote:You guys are awesome. I've been out of touch for a long while, but (fortunately) I remembered my login. heh

I discovered something rather surprising in my own software archives. Brace yourselves.

I don't know if it was an old version of this app, or another program, but I appear to have downloaded a ton of updates for Win2K, Server 2003, XP, Exchange, and a number of other things. Here's a screen clip. Note the folder tree.

All independent executables, rather than .cab files.

I know it's not all of them by today's standard, but it's a starting point for those missing any of them. (Yes, I'm willing to share 'em!)

You Sir are a legend - I just hope that someone has got a auto IT script for it that does it in order of installation.....

How do you want to send them?
ChrisUK

Postby Cababs » 01.09.2017, 14:55

That directory tree looks like it is from Windows Update Downloader (WUD) http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/
I have used it in conjustion with WOU. its quite good. i used it when i was slipstreaming the updates into the installion CD
Notable Achievements
CompTIA A+
HNC Computing
Cababs

Postby Rush » 02.09.2017, 11:58

is wud eol ?
Rush

Postby Cababs » 02.09.2017, 14:38

last time WUD update lists were updated was 2015. i was using WUD for the exchange and office 2003 updates.
not sure what you mean by your question..

i use WUD, APUP and WOU to get updates. i then intergrate them all into WOU. it is the best.
Notable Achievements
CompTIA A+
HNC Computing
Cababs

Next

Return to Download