Download independent from current WinOS? On Win7 for Win 8.1

Download independent from current WinOS? On Win7 for Win 8.1

Postby pstein » 29.03.2017, 11:35

Assume I have a WSUS installation on a 32bit Win 7 system and enable "64bit Win 8.1" downloads in UpdateGenerator.exe

Then I download all the stuff.

Are the resulting patches exactly the same just as if I would have WSUS on a 64bit Win 8.1 system and download the patches from there?

In other words: Is the downloaded patch+security update collection independent from the WinOS on which it is executed?

I could imagine that WSUS checks some references on the current host system before downloading and adjusts the set of downloads accordingly.

Peter
pstein

Re: Download independent from current WinOS? On Win7 for Win

Postby boco » 29.03.2017, 13:34

First, WOU is not WSUS! It got the similar name only because it uses the same catalog.

Second, the OS used for downloading does not matter at all. Just don't use XP or older, as some of the tools used by WOU do not run on XP, anymore.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Re: Download independent from current WinOS? On Win7 for Win

Postby Dalai » 29.03.2017, 13:42

pstein wrote:Are the resulting patches exactly the same just as if I would have WSUS on a 64bit Win 8.1 system and download the patches from there?

Yes.

In other words: Is the downloaded patch+security update collection independent from the WinOS on which it is executed?

Yes, it is. It's even possible to download all updates on XP if some of the tools are replaced by older versions (Sigcheck.exe and maybe streams.exe). Although this is not necessarily recommended, it's possible.

I could imagine that WSUS checks some references on the current host system before downloading and adjusts the set of downloads accordingly.

It does only for the installation part (UpdateInstaller) but not for the download part (UpdateGenerator).

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Return to Download