DL ALL patches until Oct 2016 and ONLY sec pkg since then?

DL ALL patches until Oct 2016 and ONLY sec pkg since then?

Postby pstein » 19.03.2017, 16:22

Assume I downloaded WSUS itself and extract it into a directory (under 64bit Win7).
All download directories are empty until now.

Now I want to download ALL patches until October 2016 (=the time BEFORE rollups were introduced).

PLUS

all security packages ONLY (!) since then (=since November 2016).

How can I achieve this?

If I enable "security only" option in WSUS then I cannot download the old non-security-packages.
On the otehr hand if I disable "security-only" then the full rollups since November 2016 are retrieved too.

How can I specify in WSUS a time-period-dependent different handling of downloads?

Peter
pstein

Re: DL ALL patches until Oct 2016 and ONLY sec pkg since the

Postby Dalai » 19.03.2017, 21:01

pstein wrote:If I enable "security only" option in WSUS then I cannot download the old non-security-packages.

Which updates do you mean? AFAIK there are no non-security updates in WSUS Offline, except maybe a handful or something, which are statically defined.

On the otehr hand if I disable "security-only" then the full rollups since November 2016 are retrieved too.

Yep, WSUS Offline does what it's supposed to do.

How can I specify in WSUS a time-period-dependent different handling of downloads?

You can't and you don't need to. Add the updates you don't want to the appropriate exclude list. In your case this would be adding the Rollups' KB numbers to wsusoffline\exclude\custom\ExcludeList-w61-x64.txt (for Win7 x64). Of course this works for any other version and architecture of Windows and Office (and what else is supported by WSUS Offline).

Take this example I'm using
Code: Select all
KB3185330
KB3192403
KB3197868
KB3207752
KB3212646
KB4012215
Rollups published by MS since October 2016 (including one preview rollup).

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Re: DL ALL patches until Oct 2016 and ONLY sec pkg since the

Postby boco » 19.03.2017, 21:02

The wsusscn2.cab catalog WOU uses does not (and did never) cover any non-security patches prior to Oct '16. The full Rollups are actually the first time you can get non-security patches, too (without static definitions, only because they are now married to the security ones).
Since MS plans to merge all old patches into the Rollups, full Rollups would be the only way going forward if you want to eventually get everything.

In other words: You cannot get non-security patches before Oct '16 automatically, as the catalog does not contain them. So, even with full Rollups selected, you don't get them, yet.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Return to Download