Newbie Question re UpdateGenerator

Newbie Question re UpdateGenerator

Postby kirk2010 » 07.03.2017, 02:39

I understand that the UpdateGenerator.exe program will search and download all of the Updates that are needed for my computer, but does it also Start the installation of those Updates ?

Or, do I need to look for another command that will install the updates ?

After my first run of UpdateGenerator, I checked for Installed Updates, but saw nothing new was added.
kirk2010

Re: Newbie Question re UpdateGenerator

Postby Denniss » 07.03.2017, 09:50

UpdateGenerator is the download part of our program, the installation part is in the /client subfolder
Denniss

Postby kirk2010 » 07.03.2017, 10:07

I now understand how to use the Update.cmd, after running the UpdateGenerator.

My Win7 PC was stuck at trying to download updates for over 6 months. Now it is finally Up to Date !!!

Thanks very much for this helpful set of tools.
kirk2010

Postby Dalai » 07.03.2017, 12:52

kirk2010 wrote:I understand that the UpdateGenerator.exe program will search and download all of the Updates that are needed for my computer [...]

That's not completely correct. UpdateGenerator will download ALL available updates, not just those needed for computer X or Y. That way it's irrelevant which patch level your system has or any other system. You can patch all of them up to the same patch level using the same WSUS Offline repository.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby boco » 07.03.2017, 13:21

now understand how to use the Update.cmd, after running the UpdateGenerator.
Please note that Update.cmd is for unattended usage. For interactive usage, use UpdateInstaller.exe which will call Update.cmd (->DoUpdate.cmd) with the correct commandline switches. Using Update.cmd directly, you must care for specifying those switches by thyself.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Return to Download