Running Multiple Instances

Running Multiple Instances

Postby PaulNM » 01.02.2017, 07:17

How safe is it to run multiple instances of UpdateGenerator.exe? (From different folders, of course.) Are the variables and temp folders local or global?

I have separate copies for Windows, Windows Vista, and Office updates. At the moment I run downloads on them sequentially. It would be nice to run all of them at the same time.
PaulNM

Re: Running Multiple Instances

Postby Dalai » 01.02.2017, 14:10

The variables are valid only in the specific CMD window, but the %TEMP% directory is used by all instances, of course. Some files from the catalog (wsusscn2.cab) are extracted to %TEMP%, and will be deleted after the script is done with them. So, I'd say: No, it's not safe to run multiple instances.

The only exception would be to run each instance with a different %TEMP% directory. I see two options to achieve this:
  • Run each instance as a different Windows user; this can either be on the same system or on another machine like a VM
  • Open CMD, set %TEMP% and %TMP% env variables to a different dir, and run wsusoffline\cmd\DownloadUpdates.cmd with the appropriate parameters
However, I'm not sure whether or not the latter will really work because it uses VBS scripts which might get %TEMP% location in a different way (not by env variables).

Regards
Dalai
Last edited by Dalai on 01.02.2017, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Addition
Dalai

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 02.02.2017, 11:31

Hi.

Dalai wrote:[...]So, I'd say: No, it's not safe to run multiple instances.[...]

Exactly.

PaulNM wrote:[...]At the moment I run downloads on them sequentially. It would be nice to run all of them at the same time.[...]

Why?
It won't be quicker in parallel than sequentially, because bandwidth is supposed to be the limiting factor.

RTW
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby hdneuenfeldt » 04.03.2017, 19:30

i can download with 200 MBit and then the parallel download can be much quicker than the sequential. So it would be fine to do it parallel ...
Die einzige unter den Menschen gerecht verteilte Fähigkeit ist Intelligenz. Niemand behauptet zu wenig davon zu haben ...
hdneuenfeldt

Postby Gerby » 09.03.2017, 15:56

Hi!

Maybe using ARIA2 instead of wget could be an option for you!? As I remember, this tool can split the download into several streams. However, I'm not sure if there's any additional configuration work needed - and I don't have any experience with that tool.

If you want to try: Run ./cmd/ActivateAria2Downloads.cmd once. Afterwards ARIA2 is used. Switching back to wget later on is possible.

Greetz
Gerby
Mach mit - der Übersichtlichkeit wegen! Füge Log-Auszüge als [Code] ein.
Make it clear! Insert log excerpts as [Code].
Gerby

Return to Download