WSUS OFFLINE Download Problems

WSUS OFFLINE Download Problems

Postby JCF2014 » 14.10.2016, 03:39

I am trying to download updates for Windows 7/8/10, Windows Defender, Office, etc.. like always with WSUS OFFLINE, but today i got these problem

Code: Select all
FINISHED --2016-10-13 22:01:24--
Downloaded: 5 files, 365M in 15m 40s (397 KB/s)

Extracting Microsoft's update catalog file package.xml...
C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Local\Temp\package.xml
Access is denied.
22:01:32.15 - Determining superseded updates (please be patient, this will take a while)...
Extracting file 1...
..\bin\gsort.exe: C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Local\Temp\existing-bundle-revision-ids.txt: No such file or directory
Could Not Find C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Local\Temp\existing-bundle-revision-ids.txt
Extracting file 2...
..\bin\gsort.exe: C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Local\Temp\superseding-and-superseded-revision-ids.txt: No such file or directory
Could Not Find C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Local\Temp\superseding-and-superseded-revision-ids.txt
Joining files 1 and 2 to file 3...
Extracting file 4...
..\bin\gsort.exe: C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Local\Temp\BundledUpdateRevisionAndFileIds.txt: No such file or directory
Could Not Find C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Local\Temp\BundledUpdateRevisionAndFileIds.txt
Joining files 3 and 4 to file 5...
Extracting file 6...
..\bin\gsort.exe: C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Local\Temp\UpdateCabExeIdsAndLocations.txt: No such file or directory
Could Not Find C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Local\Temp\UpdateCabExeIdsAndLocations.txt
Joining files 5 and 6 to file 7...
22:01:40.03 - Done.
Determining static update urls for dotnet x86-glb...
22:01:40.09 - Determining dynamic update urls for dotnet x86-glb...

ERROR: Download failure for dotnet x86-glb.

Note: To better help understanding this error, you can select and copy the last messages from this window using the context menu (right mouse click in the window).
Press any key to continue . . .

I tried deleting WSUS OFFLINE and downloading it again from the site, but it did the same. What is very annoying is that it stops completely after that, not just skip that dotnet x86 file.
Last edited by Gerby on 14.10.2016, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inserted [code] tags for better readability.
JCF2014

Re: WSUS OFFLINE Download Problems

Postby Dalai » 14.10.2016, 13:47

Can you create any file in your TEMP directory by hand, i.e. C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Local\Temp? If not, the permissions of this directory have become corrupted somehow and need to be corrected.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby JCF2014 » 14.10.2016, 18:51

I tested creating a folder and a text file and both where created without problem. Then i thought to try in and boot in Safe Mode (with Network capabilities) and everything went well so i am not sure what the cause could be that it won't work in Normal Mode. I thought about the antivirus, but i haven't received any message that something was blocked.
JCF2014

Postby hbuhrmester » 14.10.2016, 19:44

It could be a temporary problem with the file wsusscn2.cab. This file is usually updated once a month, on the second Tuesday, which was the official patch day before Windows 10. Then it takes some time to distribute the new version in the content delivery network.

Sometimes there are versions of this file, which fail in the verification of digital file signatures and which can't be unpacked. These versions seem to be in an intermediate state, they are only offered by some servers in the content delivery network, and they usually disappear after a few days.

Then there should be other error messages regarding wsusscn2.cab earlier in the log file.

The download script may use a backup of the file wsusscn2.cab, if the download of a new version fails. If there is no backup, then the script can't go on, because superseded and dynamic updates can't be determined.
hbuhrmester

Postby aker » 14.10.2016, 20:56

You may also check the signature of .\client\wsus\wsusscn2.cab (Right-click -> Properties -> Digital signature).
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby JCF2014 » 15.10.2016, 16:13

After checking the signature what to do?

Microsoft sha1 Timestamp October 10 2016
Microsoft sha256 Timestamp October 10 2016
JCF2014

Postby aker » 15.10.2016, 22:19

Just to check, if it is valid.
If you double-click it, does it show, that it is valid or is it invalid?
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

aker

Postby JCF2014 » 15.10.2016, 23:16

Both says OK.
JCF2014

Postby aker » 16.10.2016, 17:42

Then please retry the download. Does wsusou work now?
aker

aker

Postby Zombie » 17.10.2016, 21:26

Hello, im having the same issue, and i can post what i have tried, hope it may help:

Seems, for some reason, WSU leaves a package.xml copy inside the user/temp directory that is not erasable (my best guess is some app rights/admin thingy?, or Microsoft changed something?) after the first part, so the next iteration, it gets the "access denied" when trying to download it again. Closing WSU leaves the mentioned archive, so the next run, the error surfaces earlier.

Downgrading WSU and downloading from scratch doesn't help, trying on another PC gives same result (only tried in 2 with win7, one 32b and the other 64b OS). I can create archives in such directory and erase them, but the mentioned package.xml can only be erased by external means (booting from a linux liveCD). Erasing it gives a little room (the first package.XML downloads good once again, but just the first time)

Hope it helps, love your work and this tool is amazing! Thanks!
Zombie

Next

Return to Download