WSUS OFFLINE Download Problems

Re: WSUS OFFLINE Download Problems

Postby aker » 18.10.2016, 05:08

Where do you save wsusou?
Local HDD, network drive, something else?
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby JCF2014 » 18.10.2016, 18:01

Me? local drive, but i mark the "Copy updates for selected products into directory" so i can move it to an external hdd so i can update other computers. As user zombie says, the problem arise because package.xml. When WSUS OFFLINE start to extract it again.

The only way to bypass it was to use WSUS OFFLINE in safe mode. Since it finished in Safe Mode i need to test it again, but in normal mode and post the result here.
JCF2014

Postby JCF2014 » 18.10.2016, 21:49

Tried again and had the same witch the Access denied in file package.xml
JCF2014

Postby hbuhrmester » 18.10.2016, 23:04

One possible explanation for errors at this point might be, that the Windows Script Host (WSH) is disabled. WSUS Offline Update uses some VBScripts to extract information from the file package.xml. If the WSH is disabled, this will fail — but usually, it will silently fail without any error message.

The WSH can be disabled with the Microsoft Management Console, Registry hacks or various Windows optimizers. Starting in Safe Mode restores all Windows services to their default values.

While both UpdateGenerator.exe and UpdateInstaller.exe need the Windows Script Host, only the latter does actually check, if the WSH is running. This allows a simple comparison:
hbuhrmester

Postby Zombie » 19.10.2016, 04:02

the package.xml is properly extracted the first time (in my case), then is not deleted properly from the temp directory so the next time the access denied error appears, and WSUS stops.

Attached is a 3 screen showing wsus progress (starting with a clean temp directory) note the first package.xml extraction goes fine, then the second time gets the access denied error. Closing Wsus leaves it, only way to dispose of the leftover package.xml is with an external OS apparently.

Running Wsus again with the "dirty" temp directory only makes that the "access denied" error appears early (at the first try)

Hope this helps, thanks for reading.
Attachments
package xml error progression wsus.jpg
(113.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Zombie

Postby aker » 19.10.2016, 09:06

Which permissions are set to %TEMP%?
Maybe they are broken (a kind of: allowed to create files, but not to delete).

If you want to, you may set %TEMP% to another path. I'm using this script as InitializationHook to move my TEMP-dir for wsusou to "<wsusou path>\tmp":
Code: Select all
cd "%~dp0..\.."
set WSUSOU_DIR=%cd%
cd "%~dp0"
if not exist "%WSUSOU_DIR%\tmp" (
   exit /b 1
)
set TEMP=%WSUSOU_DIR%\tmp
set WSUSOU_DIR=
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby Zombie » 19.10.2016, 12:47

same standard temp directory as always was (users/*username*/appdata/local/temp) never had this issue before and tried in 2 different PCs, so i doubt its a permission issue. Also i can create and delete other files in such directory, but not the one related to WSUS operation. I think it has something to do with Windows 7 recent updates since it didn't happen before and downgrading WSUS (even clean install) doesn't help.. i just need to find a computer not recently updated to test the theory? :roll: still hoping u can figure whats wrong.. Thanks!
Zombie

Postby JCF2014 » 19.10.2016, 13:53

Zombie, do you have Panda Antivirus and Malwarebytes Pro? i can assure this is the reason for the problem, but i added WSUS OFFLINE to both Panda and Malwarebytes to the exclusion list of scan and then run again WSUS to download updates and it finished without problem, but again, i can't be sure since your case may be different.
JCF2014

Postby boco » 19.10.2016, 14:14

Failure to access a file is, apart from privilege issues, often the result of a process holding the file handle open. You can check that (and disband the file from the process) with a software like "Unlocker".
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby Zombie » 19.10.2016, 21:13

THANK YOU JCF2014!! you were right, freaking panda was messing with it. Don't know why is doing that now and not before, but when i clean the temp (externally) and suspend panda before running WSUS, IT WORKS AS BEFORE!! thank you and everybody else on this forum :)
Last edited by Zombie on 20.10.2016, 02:13, edited 1 time in total.
Zombie

PreviousNext

Return to Download