Exclude Service Packs from Command line download

Exclude Service Packs from Command line download

Postby rjm67 » 10.01.2013, 12:54

Hi,

I've just started using the app, and I was wondering how I exlude service packs from a command line download. I thought you just unchecked the box on the gui, exited from this and then began the downloads. This made no difference in my test with XP (I still got SP3). Could anybody tell me what numpty mistake I'm making please?

Cheers
Richard

P.S. I did do a forum search first, but 'exclude' didn't appear to be in anything.. which seemed odd.
rjm67

Re: Exclude Service Packs from Command line download

Postby boco » 10.01.2013, 14:06

You must add the commandline parameter

/excludesp

Changing an option in the GUI does nothing for the commandline call. All the GUI does is calling the same file you call directly, with the correct parameters, anyway.

@WSUSOUAdmin: Wouldn't it be great to have a little feature in the GUI that shows you the complete commandline call that will be needed depending on the options set? So I just can just set the options in the GUI and then copy the corresponding commandline call out to paste in elsewhere.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby rjm67 » 10.01.2013, 16:39

Ahhh, that's great. Thank you very much.

I've now found the switches in the script file so could I get clarity on what those with ? are for, just so I've got the complete picture?

DownloadUpdates command line switches.
/excludesp Exclude Service Packs
/excludestatics Exclude Statistics?
/includedotnet Include dotnet
/includemsse Include MS Security Essentials
/includewddefs Include Windows Defender Definitions
/nocleanup No cleanup
/verify Verify
/exitonerror Exit on error
/skiptz Skip TZ?
/skipdownload Skip download?
/skipdynamic Skip Dynamic determined updates
/proxy Set Proxy server
/wsus Set WSUS URL Location
/wsusonly ?
/wsusbyproxy Bypass WSUS Proxy?

Many thanks in advance.
Richard
rjm67

Postby aker » 10.01.2013, 17:30

/excludesp Exclude Service Packs
/excludestatics Exclude Static defined Updates
/includedotnet Include dotnet
/includemsse Include MS Security Essentials
/includewddefs Include Windows Defender Definitions
/nocleanup No cleanup (do not remove old / superseded files)
/verify Verify (create hashes and check them)
/exitonerror Exit on error
/skiptz Skip TZ (in the past occured a problem cased by summer time, now wsusou will detect timezone to resove this; this switche disables this behaviour)
/skipdownload Skip download (just check hashes and cleanup)
/skipdynamic Skip Dynamic determined updates
/proxy Set Proxy server
/wsus Set WSUS URL Location
/wsusonly just download from wsus and skip updates not on wsus server
/wsusbyproxy use the proxy to connect to wsus server
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 11.01.2013, 09:07

Hi!

boco wrote:[...]@WSUSOUAdmin: Wouldn't it be great to have a little feature in the GUI that shows you the complete commandline call that will be needed depending on the options set? So I just can just set the options in the GUI and then copy the corresponding commandline call out to paste in elsewhere.

Of course this is possible, but where should the option be placed?
Should I remove the "shut down on completion" option?

RTW
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby boco » 11.01.2013, 09:31

Not an option, more like a field that shows the current commandline used, depending on the options selected. Just like a ''If you copy this line into your batch file it will be exactly the same like pressing Start now, just without the GUI.'' feature. Maybe a simple little ''Copy commandline for current product with selected parameters to clipboard''.

Example:
1. In the GUI, check all desired boxes.
2. Copy the resulting command for your desired product to the clipboard.
3. Paste into your batch and have the exact same parameters like the options in the GUI.

So if you exclude SPs you will get the /excludesp parameter included into your commandline.

Personally, I never used that shutdown option. If option decisions need to be made, there should be always a poll, in my eyes.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby rjm67 » 11.01.2013, 11:41

Once again, many thanks for your help to date. I've got some other questions, but I'll start a new thread if a search doesn't bring anything up.
rjm67

Postby rjm67 » 13.01.2013, 18:24

Back again, but hopefully getting it sussed now.

I read on another thread that if you exclude service packs it will only download those patches issued after the last service pack for the OS concerned. If so, does that mean if you include service packs it will download all the service packs AND the patches issued in between each release. Only asking as the location I've just started at has quite a mixed estate and I'm thinking that we might be missing patches if people haven't got around to applying service packs. I've not yet got into running MBSA etc to see what we have due to admin issues.

Example based on Vista.
Exclude service packs and I just get post SP2 patches. (Taking that as yes)
Include service packs and I get all service packs and patches issued between service packs?

Cheers
Richard
rjm67

Postby aker » 13.01.2013, 19:05

/excludesp: everything after newest SP
no /excludesp: newest SP & everything after newest SP
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 18.01.2013, 15:37

Hi!

boco wrote:@WSUSOUAdmin: Wouldn't it be great to have a little feature in the GUI that shows you the complete commandline call that will be needed depending on the options set? So I just can just set the options in the GUI and then copy the corresponding commandline call out to paste in elsewhere.

I did it my way... ;)
:arrow: http://trac.wsusoffline.net/browser/trunk (r435)

RTW
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Return to Download