Downloading only recommended / critical updates

Downloading only recommended / critical updates

Postby dynamisdk » 04.06.2012, 18:46

Hi everyone, I found out this little application today and it looks like it might be able to massively help with my installtion media.

I've carried out a test on a VM installation and found it works perfect but there is one thing I'm not sure if its able to do.

Is there anyway I can prevent any downloading of the non-critical / optional fixes?

Ideally I would like to be able to block downloading of any Internet Exploder updates. I'm not sure how granular the configuration is, but having a quick look I can't see anything obvious which does allows there to be blocked. I selected the opton to download the .NET fixes as there tend to be the ones which take longer but I can't see anything to say yes or no to any other aspects of the downloads.

Any advice?
dynamisdk

Re: Downloading only recommended / critical updates

Postby dynamisdk » 05.06.2012, 08:11

Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood what the application does.

I ran it yesterday and having taken a look over the log it would seem it downloaded a lot more then it installed.

Am i right in thinking, this doesn't actually look at what updates are missing on a client and download only the ones which are required. It actually downloads all the ones available, then at install time only installs the updates needed.

Would that be accurate?
dynamisdk

Re: Downloading only recommended / critical updates

Postby Gerby » 05.06.2012, 13:04

Hello dynamisdk, and welcome to the forum!

You're right. In a first step WSUS Offline Update downloads all available security-related updates for the selected operating systems and/or Microsoft Office. As the tool's name already implies, the update on one or several computers is done offline in a second step, so it must have all possibly needed updates available at that time (e.g. on a DVD or a USB stick).

For more background, read on in the thread Coverage of WSUS Offline Update.

Greetings
Gerby
Mach mit - der Übersichtlichkeit wegen! Füge Log-Auszüge als [Code] ein.
Make it clear! Insert log excerpts as [Code].
Gerby

Return to Download