Downloading Language other than selected

Downloading Language other than selected

Postby brb8two » 23.05.2012, 11:30

Hi,

I haven't been using WSUSoffline for long (v 7.3.1) but I'm a little confused to see why I have German Installers downloaded for somethings when I have only selected English. I'm using this software on Windows 7 x64 English only.

For example I have the following DEU installers with the ENU installers in the folders;
client\w60\glb\IE8-WindowsVista-x86-DEU.exe
client\w60\glb\IE8-WindowsVista-x86-ENU.exe
client\w60\glb\IE9-WindowsVista-x86-deu.exe
client\w60\glb\IE9-WindowsVista-x86-enu.exe

client\msse\x64-glb\mseinstall-x64-deu.exe
client\msse\x64-glb\mseinstall-x64-enu.exe
client\msse\x86-glb\mseinstall-x86-deu.exe
client\msse\x86-glb\mseinstall-x86-enu.exe

I guess why I'm pointing this out is that just the above *DEU.exe files are ~60MB that appears to be no use to my system nor selected for download. I acknowledge that 60MB compared to the GBs of other updates is a small amount but why have a language selection option if it is loosely followed.
brb8two

Re: Downloading Language other than selected

Postby Markus » 23.05.2012, 12:58

As mentioned anywhere in this forum, according to the programmers native language german and the international english the main downloads are for these two languages automatically done. To add another language you have execute cmd\AddCustomLanguageSupport.cmd <lang>.
But the other direction - to loose german language files - you have to edit the corresponding files in static\StaticDownloadLinks-IE*-deu.txt and maybe also the same for dotnet.

Postby boco » 23.05.2012, 14:09

The main problem is that required language for these packages cannot be determined automatically. Windows Vista and Windows 7 updates are usually of a global type and work for all languages, the exception being the ones you mentioned. To cover the overwhelming part of the community, English and German packages are included by default. You can change that by just deleting the German URLs from the appropriate text files.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby brb8two » 24.05.2012, 05:31

@Markus you mention "cmd\AddCustomLanguageSupport.cmd <lang>" but I have also found in there "cmd\RemoveCustomLanguageSupport.cmd <lang>" both do not support DEU as <lang>

@boco If the DEU is always downloaded with ENU, the "UpdateGenerator.exe" User Interface should be updated to indicate this (i.e. if this was the case, I'd probably not be asking this question).

You both suggest for me to "edit" static\StaticDownloadLinks*DEU.txt, could I just delete all of these Text files or do the files need to exist with blank entries?
brb8two

Postby brb8two » 24.05.2012, 07:36

@Markus after looking at the static\ folder, there is nothing wrong with the *deu.txt files the problem is within the *glb.txt files.

I had to Edit the following files in the static\ folder to remove the DEU downloads.
StaticDownloadLinks-dotnet.txt
StaticDownloadLinks-dotnet-x64-glb.txt
StaticDownloadLinks-dotnet-x86-glb.txt
StaticDownloadLinks-msse-x64-glb.txt
StaticDownloadLinks-msse-x86-glb.txt
StaticDownloadLinks-w60-x64-glb.txt
StaticDownloadLinks-w60-x86-glb.txt
StaticDownloadLinks-w61-x64-glb.txt
StaticDownloadLinks-w61-x86-glb.txt

This is 251MB of files I don't need.

Now I understand how the design of the Static files work, I see how this is an issue for the developers.

The Fact that 64bit versions of XP & 2003 server don't have the same language sets makes the User Interface a bit tricky to simplify. (i.e. there are 7 OS versions & 24 lanuages but there is 60 check boxes to make the selection)
brb8two

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 24.05.2012, 09:29

Hi.

brb8two wrote:I guess why I'm pointing this out is that just the above *DEU.exe files are ~60MB that appears to be no use to my system nor selected for download. I acknowledge that 60MB compared to the GBs of other updates is a small amount but why have a language selection option if it is loosely followed.

From http://trac.wsusoffline.net/browser/tru ... aq-enu.txt:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: I miss IEx, .NET and MSSE installation files for my language. Why aren't they downloaded and what can I do to have them downloaded?
A: Since Service Packs and updates for Windows Vista / 7 / Server 2008(R2) are multilingual, there's no 24-language selection table for these platforms, so by default, only the English and German versions of those localized installation packages for IEx, .NET and MSSE will be downloaded.
To have your favorite locale(s) downloaded in addition, you may use the ...\cmd\AddCustomLanguageSupport.cmd script.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RTW
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby brb8two » 25.05.2012, 03:18

@WSUSUpdateAdmin Not sure how your comment helps. I understood this from the first couple of replies. Besides I have already worked out how to resolve my issue.

The only way around such language issues for Vista / 7 is to maintain a list of Static Downloads for the different platforms & languages (similar to what is done for XP) and have a "Best effort" method of getting the localized installers for what is available (IE or MSE).
Perhaps this is what is desired but since the large amount of work involved in maintaining such a list (since MS don't provide it), what is why this shortcut to suit most has been chosen.
brb8two

Return to Download