Incorrect "newer version available" message, and download

Incorrect "newer version available" message, and download

Postby ostroffjh » 31.12.2011, 23:31

Hello,

I had not used wsusoffline in almost a year - I do seasonal support of a bunch of Windows laptops. The offline updater seemed to run fine, but when I started the update generator, a popup said there was a new version available. Clicking yes, the whole program just closed - no error messages. I tried enough things that I totally messed up my installation, so I started again from scratch. Today, I try the update generator, and I get a popup "You are using WSUS Offline Update 7.2. A newer version is available. Would you like to update WSUS Offline Update now?" If I click yes, it all closes. If I click no, it gives "Error downloading / verifying updates for 260 glb." but clicking "yes" to view the log doesn't do anything. Manually checking the log file shows no entry at all since the successful run two days ago.

The online-updated 0.7c says I'm at version 329.

I hate to start again from scratch, since the initial download takes many hours. Any hints on what the problem is or how I can fix it? If I'm just missing something that should be obvious, please just point me to the fine manual to read.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jack
ostroffjh

Re: Incorrect "newer version available" message, and downloa

Postby aker » 01.01.2012, 14:02

Please download the Zip-Archive from here.
Then start "CompileAutoItScripts.cmd" and retry.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby ostroffjh » 01.01.2012, 19:23

Sorry, but it's not obvious to me whether I need to unpack the zip archive to overlay my working wsusoffline, or if I unpack it into a new directory (trunk) and run that command, then which files need to be copied into my working wsusoffline? I don't want to just try guessing, since I don't want to end up repeating hours of downloading the same updates again if I have to start over.

Thanks.
ostroffjh

Postby ostroffjh » 01.01.2012, 23:25

I'm not sure if I fixed it or if the stars and planets moved, but it seems to be working.

I did figure out that the zip file in that link goes in my WSUSOU-Update folder. I don't know why running WSUSOU-Update.exe wouldn't have done the same thing, but I just replace my existing trunk with that from the zip file, ran WSUSOU-Update.exe, and now UpdateGenerator.exe is running, getting lots of stuff, but not complaining, so hopefully it won't mess up on me again.

Is there any easy explanation of what might have gone wrong?
ostroffjh

Postby -Iwan- » 02.01.2012, 09:12

If you want to use allways the latest version (trunk), then you can use my WSUSOU updater (link in my sig).

Btw. happy new year :ugeek:
-Iwan-

Postby ostroffjh » 02.01.2012, 15:21

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear, but I HAVE been using the WSUSOU Updater. That's part of why I couldn't understand what was going on.
ostroffjh

Postby aker » 02.01.2012, 18:53

@-Iwan-
Kann das was mit dem Problem im trac zu tun haben?

Viele Grüsse
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

aker

Postby -Iwan- » 02.01.2012, 19:26

@aker
Nein, da ich direkt die neueste Version per SVN lade.

@ostroffjh
Now it is working? Maybe you've loaded a corrupted file or something like that.
-Iwan-

Postby ostroffjh » 02.01.2012, 20:04

@Iwan - as far as I can tell, it is all now working correctly. However, I still have two questions.

First, when I ran the update generator, and got the popup saying there was a newer version, and I clicked the button that said to download the new version, should it have done so instead of just quitting? Also, if I do just manually download the latest version, is there a way to unzip/install it and keep all the update files already downloaded?

Now when I run WSUSOU-Updater, I think I saw it up to version 332 (I may be wrong, since that screen only displays for a short time, but it's definitely higher than 329.) but looking in the log of the update generator, it still says 329. Is this just a failure to update the number in some configuration file, or is some part of the process missing?

Thanks for your support.

Jack
ostroffjh

Postby aker » 02.01.2012, 20:57

WSUSOU UpdateGenerator downloads the newest main release, which is 7.2 (built from trunk r322).
WSUSOU-Updater checks the newest trunk (currently r332) and downloads it.
If you want to keep update files just overwrite the WSUSOU files.
WSUSOU will detect, which files were already downloaded.
aker

aker

Next

Return to Download