[solved] Static links and WSUS

[solved] Static links and WSUS

Postby hlindeque » 28.11.2011, 09:40

Good day,

I am new to WSOU so please forgive me if this question is dumb:

Is there a way to download the statically defined updates from an internal WSUS server? The WIN7 SP1 and MSE definition updates for example are all available on the WSUS server but WSOU keeps on downloading from MS due to static links.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
hlindeque

Re: Static links and WSUS

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 28.11.2011, 10:39

Hi and welcome, hlindeque,

no, sorry, it's not possible to download statically defined updates from an internal WSUS server, because the URLs don't match the file names (e.g. http://wsus.XXXXX.XX/Content/0B/0D7061C7088FFDD0A7F82DBAFCE98BACF952760B.exe).

Regards
Torsten Wittrock
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby hlindeque » 29.11.2011, 15:29

All the WSUS updates are filed this way. How does the dynamically linked updates resolve the filenames? Could the Service Packs etc not be treated as dynamic as well?
hlindeque

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 29.11.2011, 16:32

Hi!

hlindeque wrote:All the WSUS updates are filed this way.

That's what I said. :)

hlindeque wrote:How does the dynamically linked updates resolve the filenames? Could the Service Packs etc not be treated as dynamic as well?

The file names of the patch URLs in the catalog file wsusscn2.cab contain SHA1-checksums whereof one can calculate the WSUS URLs. That's what CreateDownloadTable.vbs does.
Even if you find the SPs in the catalog, you'll still need a connection to MS for wsusscn2.cab itself and others.

RTW
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Postby hlindeque » 01.12.2011, 08:47

I dont mind the link to MS to download the catalog file, but I would like to download the "Large" updates from WSUS such as SP's MSE updates, .NET updates.

Is there a way I can modify the download script to accomplish this?
hlindeque

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 01.12.2011, 10:11

Hi!

hlindeque wrote:[...]Is there a way I can modify the download script to accomplish this?

No, statical definitions aren't treated by CreateDownloadTable.vbs as they're static.

I don't see where the beef is:
- SPs and .NET installation packs are large, but downloaded once.
- MSE and WD definition files aren't listed in wsusscn2.cab, as far as I know.
- Dynamically determined update URLs can be translated and downloaded from a local WSUS.

I think that's the way it should be: Statics are statics and won't be modified.

But: If you remove the SP URL from ...\static\StaticDownloadLinks-<platform>-<architecture>-<language>.txt, e.g.

Code: Select all
http://xpsp.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/d/3/0/d30e32d8-418a-469d-b600-f32ce3edf42d/WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

from ...\static\StaticDownloadLinks-wxp-x86-enu.txt and also remove the corresponding exclusion from ...\exclude\ExcludeList-<platform>-<architecture>.txt, e.g.

Code: Select all
KB936929

from ...\exclude\ExcludeList-wxp-x86.txt, you'll get the SP URL calculated dynamically, which allows the translation to a WSUS URL and a download from your local WSUS.

I won't do that for a release anyway, because it would force re-downloading of the SP at every user's repository.

Regards
Torsten Wittrock
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Return to Download