Global win7 64 downloading german

Global win7 64 downloading german

Postby bronan » 14.05.2011, 11:29

Hello guys i am not really a new user to wsusupdate.
But now i switched over to win7 64 i am kinda baffled
By reading some info in the cmd files i found how to set the country files
But i don't see any options for select to download the english or the german version files,
now the question does it matter which version i download using a dutch win 7 ultimate x64.
When i checked the program downloading dotnet i saw it downloads some german versions so i broke off the download
Since i am not sure if it does matter or not

Hmmm i am not sure but maybe the IE-9 solution will solve mine as well, gonna try that asap
bronan

Re: Global win7 64 downloading german

Postby Gerby » 15.05.2011, 13:10

Hello bronan and welcome to the forum!

First of all: Are you using the latest version of WSUS Offline Update, i.e. 6.8.4?

Updates for Windows 7 can be used for any language, thus you can only select global in the Update Generator. However, the language packs for .NET and the downloads for Internet Explorer and MSSE are hard-coded (English and German). But you can change this by running the following batch from the cmd directory once (assuming you want to use the dutch language):

Code: Select all
AddCustomLanguageSupport.cmd nld

Greetings
Gerby
Mach mit - der Übersichtlichkeit wegen! Füge Log-Auszüge als [Code] ein.
Make it clear! Insert log excerpts as [Code].
Gerby

Postby TheXev » 16.05.2011, 20:39

I am experiencing this same issue. I want to only download enUS updates. What command can I use to do that? Thanks in advance.

*edit*

After opening the batch command, it appears that these are the only valid choices:
fra = French
esn = Spanish
jpn = Japanese
kor = Korean
rus = Russin
ptg =?
ptb =?
nld =
ita = Italian
chs
cht
plk = Polish?
hun = Hungry
csy
sve
trk
ell
ara
heb = Hebrew
dan
nor
fin = Finnish?

No where do I see anything that resembles English. Downloading the German updates is a complete waste of what limited bandwidth I have. So any assistance would be helpful.
TheXev

Postby boco » 16.05.2011, 21:00

You just have to open the correct *-glb.txt file in the static subdirectory, and remove the line for the german (de-de or simply de) download.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby Denniss » 16.05.2011, 21:03

All Vista/Win7 are multilanguage updates, WOU is set up to also load the german versions of IE8/9 and dotnet language packs. Just use the default options and you get all the updates you need for an english version and some files for a german version.
Denniss

Postby robjective » 11.06.2011, 17:27

I have the same issue--limited bandwidth. I edited the .txt files so that I was only getting the english version of everything, but after the latest update to WsusOffline, it has started downloading those few deu versions again. The problem is not the one time download, but they will also be updated, meaning multiple downloads of a language that I can't use.

Is there a way to make the edits to the .txt stick so that updating doesn't revert? I don't mind doing the edits once, but it's a lot of work to everytime a new version comes out.

TheXev wrote:I am experiencing this same issue. I want to only download enUS updates. What command can I use to do that? Thanks in advance.

*edit*

After opening the batch command, it appears that these are the only valid choices:
fra = French
esn = Spanish
jpn = Japanese
kor = Korean
rus = Russin
ptg =?
ptb =?
nld =
ita = Italian
chs
cht
plk = Polish?
hun = Hungry
csy
sve
trk
ell
ara
heb = Hebrew
dan
nor
fin = Finnish?

No where do I see anything that resembles English. Downloading the German updates is a complete waste of what limited bandwidth I have. So any assistance would be helpful.
robjective

Postby Denniss » 11.06.2011, 19:18

The only files you need to alter to remove german updates or language packs (all named StaticDownloadLlinks-target.txt):
dotnet
dotnet-x64-glb
dotnet-x86-glb
msse-x64-glb
msse-x86-glb
w60-x64-glb
w60-x86-glb
w61-x64-glb
w61-x86-glb
Denniss

Postby robjective » 12.06.2011, 02:51

Denniss wrote:The only files you need to alter to remove german updates or language packs (all named StaticDownloadLlinks-target.txt):
dotnet
dotnet-x64-glb
dotnet-x86-glb
msse-x64-glb
msse-x86-glb
w60-x64-glb
w60-x86-glb
w61-x64-glb
w61-x86-glb

Thanks Denniss. I think I had to delete the hashes, too, or the update would read the hashes, not find the file, and error out.

So I'm thinking that we should be able to use a script that would search the files with the above names and delete the line with the the string "deu".

Here are two links to scripts that look like they might be on the right track
http://www.visualbasicscript.com/Delete ... 63517.aspx
http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscripting ... value.aspx (script is contained in a convoluted story)

The only problem I can think of is that the hash could be a false positive for the string. Also, it looks like the scripts need a hard-coded, non-relative file location, which wouldn't work for the USB drive I run the program from.

Anyway, if someone beats me to figuring this out, post your results here. And since I've never written a script before, it may take me a while to figure it out.
robjective

Return to Download