Installing window 7 updates

Installing window 7 updates

Postby cyfong67 » 12.05.2017, 10:20

I am reinstalling Win7 on my laptop and would like to use the Convenience Rollup to quicken updates installation. A google search brought me here:http://wu.krelay.de/en/ which spells out the instructions.
I append the instructions below.
My question is when I have downloaded the required updates, do I need to store them at a certain place (default location is Download folder) before I install them via WUSA on a CMD shell as mentioned in http://wu.krelay.de/en/ by Dalai ( please see instructions in pink below)?

********************************************************************************************************************************
Steps to take after Windows installation
Disable Automatic Updates:
Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Change settings > "Never check for updates"
Reboot the system (in case the "Windows Update" services is currently checking for updates).
Download the updates mentioned above and install them via WUSA on a CMD shell (as Administrator):
start /wait "" "%SystemRoot%\system32\wusa.exe" "C:\full\path\to\Update.msu" /quiet /norestart

Tip: Use the TAB key to let the system complete the directory and file names, to avoid typing errors.
Important: Since WUSA won't output any errors when using above command, even if an update can't be installed at all (e.g. because of wrong architecture), it's recommended to check whether the updates have been installed correctly:
Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Installed Updates
************************************************************************************************************************************************

Thank-you very much in advance.
cyfong67

Re: Installing window 7 updates

Postby Dalai » 12.05.2017, 12:01

cyfong67 wrote:My question is when I have downloaded the required updates, do I need to store them at a certain place (default location is Download folder) before I install them via WUSA on a CMD shell [...]?

Huh, I thought that it's properly explained, but maybe I've been wrong about this. Where you put the downloaded files to is completely up to you (i.e. it doesn't matter) as long as you point the CMD command to the right location when installing the updates. That's why I used the placeholder C:\full\path\to\Update.msu which is supposed to be replaced by the real path, of course.

Note that WSUS Offline Update already takes care of the so-called scan prerequisite updates, so you could just use WSUS Offline instead of manually downloading and installing these updates.

Another thing: If you want to avoid telemetry stuff on your system, don't install any rollups that have been published since October 2016 (the July 2016 rollup is clean AFAIK).

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Re: Installing window 7 updates

Postby cyfong67 » 12.05.2017, 14:49

Dalai wrote:
cyfong67 wrote:My question is when I have downloaded the required updates, do I need to store them at a certain place (default location is Download folder) before I install them via WUSA on a CMD shell [...]?

Huh, I thought that it's properly explained, but maybe I've been wrong about this. Where you put the downloaded files to is completely up to you (i.e. it doesn't matter) as long as you point the CMD command to the right location when installing the updates. That's why I used the placeholder C:\full\path\to\Update.msu which is supposed to be replaced by the real path, of course.

"
I had not understood what "C:\full\path\to........" meant (I am not much of a computer guy ;) ). Now I know what it means. Thanks for the quick clarification Dalai. Your contribution is most appreciated.
cyfong67

Return to Verschiedenes / Miscellaneous