Ataport.sys BSOD from WSUS?

Ataport.sys BSOD from WSUS?

Postby techgenius » 30.12.2016, 18:44

Hi all,

I recently used WSUS to install a bulk of new updates onto my new computer. However, twice I have experienced a BSOD. According to Bluescreenview this BSOD is caused by the driver "ataport.sys."

I believe that this BSOD occurred as I was restarting my computer both times.

Does anyone know if this was caused by WSUS, and if so is there a way to fix it?

Also, I understand that the easiest way to fix this is to reinstall Windows and start over, but I do not want this same problem to occur due to WSUS.

Here are my specs:

Storage: SSD and HDD
Mobo: Asus Z170-A
CPU: i7 6700
RAM: Corsair DDR4 16 GB 3200
GPU: MSI GTX 970
techgenius

Re: Ataport.sys BSOD from WSUS?

Postby Dalai » 30.12.2016, 20:00

I don't see any way, WSUS Offline could be responsible for this. All WSUS Offline does is to install Windows updates. It's possible that the driver was updated by some Windows update, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's responsible for the BSODs. BSODs of this kind may be caused by faulty cables, dying drives, perhaps even corrupt file-systems.

You should check Windows Event Log for any errors and warnings related to the disks. You should also check the SMART attributes of your drives with something like CrystalDiskInfo (the normal portable version is enough).

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby techgenius » 30.12.2016, 21:18

Dalai wrote:I don't see any way, WSUS Offline could be responsible for this. All WSUS Offline does is to install Windows updates. It's possible that the driver was updated by some Windows update, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's responsible for the BSODs. BSODs of this kind may be caused by faulty cables, dying drives, perhaps even corrupt file-systems.

You should check Windows Event Log for any errors and warnings related to the disks. You should also check the SMART attributes of your drives with something like CrystalDiskInfo (the normal portable version is enough).

Regards
Dalai

Thanks for the quick reply.

Before reading this I loaded Partition Magic and ran a quick test on both of my drives, and both came out as healthy. However, I will also give Crystal Disk Info a go. I will also check the Windows Event Log for any errors.

I just did not receive this BSOD until after I began installing updates from WSUS, so I figured there may be some correlation.
techgenius

Postby Dalai » 30.12.2016, 22:05

techgenius wrote:I just did not receive this BSOD until after I began installing updates from WSUS, so I figured there may be some correlation.

Sure, it's possible that there's a correlation. Could it be one of the Windows Updates? Sure. Could it be WSUS Offline? I highly doubt that. WSUS Offline uses official interfaces and mechanisms to install updates. I even think that it's likely that you would have gotten the BSOD if you had used Windows Update itself.

Regards
Dalai
Dalai

Postby techgenius » 31.12.2016, 18:40

Dalai wrote:Sure, it's possible that there's a correlation. Could it be one of the Windows Updates? Sure. Could it be WSUS Offline? I highly doubt that. WSUS Offline uses official interfaces and mechanisms to install updates. I even think that it's likely that you would have gotten the BSOD if you had used Windows Update itself.

Regards
Dalai

Alright, interesting. So I checked with Crystal Disk Info and it says that my drives are in Good condition. I am not really sure how to read Windows Event Viewer. I do however have my BSOD information saved from Bluescreenviewer:

==================================================
Dump File : 122916-7347-01.dmp
Crash Time : 12/29/2016 11:14:42 AM
Bug Check String : KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x0000001e
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : ataport.SYS
Caused By Address : ataport.SYS+15594
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+703d0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\122916-7347-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 275,816
Dump File Time : 12/29/2016 11:15:16 AM
==================================================

I understand that this forum is devoted to WSUS, and I apologize if I am starting to go off topic. I am just trying to figure out if this is a driver issue or a hardware issue.

Also, I have not experienced another BSOD since those two incidents.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: One more thing: On various websites I have read that this could be a potential rootkit. I have scanned my PC with Malwarebytes and TDDSKiler, and both have claimed that my PC is clean from Malware. At this point malware may still be a possibility but I kind of doubt it.
techgenius

Postby aker » 31.12.2016, 20:30

As far as I can see, you are running Windows 7 on a Skylake platform (Core i7 6xxx processor). All Windows 7 drivers (and there I mean the internal ones) do not natively support Skylake. Maybe that's the problem.
I needed about 1 week to install Windows 7 on my Skylake notebook (includes the time required for making it not BSODing all the time).
Please make sure, you've got all chipset drivers (including the SerialIO ones, if it is an Intel based motherboard).
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby techgenius » 31.12.2016, 20:50

aker wrote:As far as I can see, you are running Windows 7 on a Skylake platform (Core i7 6xxx processor). All Windows 7 drivers (and there I mean the internal ones) do not natively support Skylake. Maybe that's the problem.
I needed about 1 week to install Windows 7 on my Skylake notebook (includes the time required for making it not BSODing all the time).
Please make sure, you've got all chipset drivers (including the SerialIO ones, if it is an Intel based motherboard).

I have all of my drivers updated, and this morning I updated Intel AHCI/RAID Drivers for good measure (because ataport.sys supposedly correlates with your disk drives, from what I understand).

So far I havent experienced another BSOD, so I am hoping that it was either a glitch while updating or some outdated driver which is now fixed. Hopefully anything but a hardware malfunction...

Again, I want to stress that I experienced this while updating with WSUS, midway through restarting my PC. Perhaps the Windows update was replacing some driver or something.

If anyone knows of anything that could have possibly caused it, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.
techgenius

Return to Verschiedenes / Miscellaneous