User profile folder not created with Win 8.1 integrated ISO

User profile folder not created with Win 8.1 integrated ISO

Postby Dean737 » 15.11.2016, 18:20

I've duplicated a problem many times, but I don't know if there's a solution.

I'm taking a fresh ISO from my MSDN account for Windows 8.1 x64 with November 2014 update integrated (from Microsoft). I'm adjusting that image using from Windows 10 version 1607.

I removed ALL modern apps (XBox, Finance, etc.) using DISM. If that's all I do, then the image works and installs fine. BUT, if I then add a single update to that image (the December 2014 update, the April 2015 servicing stack update, the July 2016 update, etc.), after making the ISO and booting from it (in both a physical hard-drive AND in a Hyper-V VM), the install starts normally and I create a "local account", but I can't get to the desktop because of error: "The user profile service failed the sign-in. The user profile was not loaded".

If I reboot using the ISO, I can see that the user profile folder was not even created...of course it can't be loaded. This happens if I add just 1 update to that WIM file. It's crazy. I've tried working with the image using the Windows 8.1 version of Dism.exe while still using Windows 10, but the same problem, so it's not a Dism version mismatch.

Does anyone know what's wrong?
Dean737

Re: User profile folder not created with Win 8.1 integrated

Postby Dean737 » 16.11.2016, 16:12

It's because I removed the apps before applying the updates. I would not think that would be a problem, but it is.

I guess if you don't want the apps, you have wait until you've installed the OS, then remove them "online". When removing them "online", I wonder if the Powershell command can truly remove them from the image and for "all users".
Dean737

Return to Verschiedenes / Miscellaneous