Autoreboot and recall magic?

Autoreboot and recall magic?

Postby itovikws » 23.10.2014, 09:40

I'm trying to extend the Linux functionality to more resemble that of the Windows scripts and I have a question about how they make the client autologin after reboot.

I've downloaded the updates using sh/DownloadUpdates.sh , copied the client folder to my Windows7 PC and have run the UpdateInstaller.exe
I found that to be able enable the Autoreboot checkbox I have to have the SysInternal's Autlologin.exe in the bin-folder so I've put it and the sigcheck and streams files there.

But even so it doesn't work entirely - the reboot works, the recall also works but the autologin fails, so I have to login manually for the recall to start running.
The log seems to indicate everything should be working as expected but somehow it doesn't and the WOUTempAdmin doesn't login. I've verified that that account is created.
Code: Select all
2014-10-20  9:10:24,05 - Info: Saved Winlogon registry hive
2014-10-20  9:10:24,07 - Info: Suppressed Winlogon Legal Notice
2014-10-20  9:10:24,10 - Info: Saved System policies registry hive
2014-10-20  9:10:24,27 - Info: Activated temporary power scheme
2014-10-20  9:10:24,53 - Info: WSUS Offline Update was started from a local drive (C:)
2014-10-20  9:10:24,53 - Info: Prepared recall directory
2014-10-20  9:10:26,52 - Info: Created WOUTempAdmin account
2014-10-20  9:10:26,53 - Info: Registered recall
2014-10-20  9:10:23,82 - Info: Adjusted boot sequence for next reboot
2014-10-20  9:10:26,80 - Info: Ending WSUS Offline Update

So my question is : what magic does the UpdateGenerator do to make autologin work when the client files are created from Windows?

- Peder
itovikws

Re: Autoreboot and recall magic?

Postby Gerby » 23.10.2014, 10:06

Hello Peder,

I'm not sure what you want to achieve here. The Linux scripts are just used as an alternative for the UpdateGenerator and the corresponding Windows scripts for downloading. Autologin isn't applicable at download.

Greetings
Gerby
Mach mit - der Übersichtlichkeit wegen! Füge Log-Auszüge als [Code] ein.
Make it clear! Insert log excerpts as [Code].
Gerby

Postby itovikws » 24.10.2014, 14:46

Hi Gerby.

No, I agree and understand that autologin shouldn't be applicable at download, apart from the fact that the original Linux script didn't download the SysInternals file required to enable the Autorecall button in the update GUI, and that's what stumped me. I see no reason why the autologin shouldn't work and yet it doesn't.
That leads me to wonder if the Windows scripts are doing something else, apart from downloading Autologin.exe, to make sure it works.

I'll probably have some time next week to do a proper Linux vs Windows download comparison and to make sure it wasn't a specific problem with the PC I was trying to update.

- Peder
itovikws

Postby Gerby » 24.10.2014, 15:07

I actually don't have experience with the auto-reboot feature. But after taking a more thorough look at your description, there are two possible problems, I've encountered.
itovikws wrote:I found that to be able enable the Autoreboot checkbox I have to have the SysInternal's Autlologin.exe in the bin-folder so I've put it and the sigcheck and streams files there.

1. The tool by Sysinternals is called Autologon.exe. May be just a typo as you wrote it.
  2. Autologon.exe must be placed into ./client/bin/ (not as the other Sysinternals tools into ./bin/).
Maybe this helps, to overcome your problems.

Greetings
Gerby
Mach mit - der Übersichtlichkeit wegen! Füge Log-Auszüge als [Code] ein.
Make it clear! Insert log excerpts as [Code].
Gerby

Postby itovikws » 24.11.2014, 14:00

Yeah I was a bit sloppy in my explaining.
1. was a typo
2. was me not being precise in exactly what I had done.
For the Autoreboot checkbox to be enabled Autologon.exe has to be in client/bin/
However that was not the problem since everything worked except for the autologin part of the reboot/resume cycle.

We use SCCM to clone and AD-join the computers and as it turns out something there causes the autologin to fail.
When I run the update on a computer with Windows installed directly from DVD it works fine.

So unless there's something specific in our imaging it seems the Autologon.exe doesn't work 100% reliably when the computer is AD joined.

- Peder
itovikws

Postby boco » 26.11.2014, 08:45

I have no experience with these setup, but it could have to do something with the domain policies overriding the local ones. That obviously won't happen on standalone machines.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Return to Verschiedenes / Miscellaneous