Failure configuring Windows updates question

Failure configuring Windows updates question

Postby brianstoiber » 07.08.2014, 14:53

I have been trying to get this to work on a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet. My company has about 150 of them to update from 8.0 up to 8.1. I was thinking of doing all the 8.0 updates, then downloading 8.1 on them individually because I can't figure out how to actually download an update to run to get up to 8.1 and then use this again to do all the current 8.1 updates.

1. Is this the proper path I should be taking?
2. Do I need to run this on 1 tablet to get the correct updates first and then copy to USB drive and do it on the other ones or can I run this on a different desktop, copy to a USB drive and then run on the tablets? So far this method has resulted in 3 times the error "Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes"
brianstoiber

Re: Failure configuring Windows updates question

Postby aker » 07.08.2014, 18:16

1) No need to install the RT 8.0 updates as 8.1 will overwrite them all.
2) Windows RT is ARM while Windows 8/8.1 is x86/x64. That means, all binary components of wsusou won't work. Also I don't know, if wsusscn2.cab contains update entries for WinRT. Additionally WinRT uses codesigning and a trusted bootchain. This might prevent wsusou from running its scripts.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby brianstoiber » 07.08.2014, 19:06

I am actually using the Surface Pro that that has a standard version of Windows on it, not have Windows RT.

All I want to do are the updates to get it current on Windows 8.1. Should

1. Run WSUS on one of the tablets
2. Under Windows 8.1, select the box next to x64 Global (multilingual updates)
3. Under USB Medium, select the box next to Copy updates for selected products into directory and choose a folder to copy them into.
4. Press Start
brianstoiber

Postby aker » 07.08.2014, 19:43

What you should do to update your tablet:
1. Run UpdateGenerator on a tablet (non-ARM OS), computer, server... (you just need a x86 or x64 Windows or Linux)
2. Check the Windows 8.1 x64 Box and the options, you want to select too (.NET, C++, ...)
3. Wait for wsusou to download all updates for Windows 8.1 (I would suggest to update the tablet to 8.1 while wsusou downloads the updates)
(3b. If you did not select "Copy to USB" or "Create ISO", copy the content of the client-folder to an USB-key or burn it onto a CD/DVD (I do not know the current size of a w63-x64 repo, but it should be around 1GB))
4. copy the files onto the tablet's local drive
5. Run UpdateInstaller on the tablet and wait for it to finish.

All security-relevant updates will be installed.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

aker

Postby brianstoiber » 07.08.2014, 20:03

Ok, I am starting that now. I cannot update to 8.1 until I install all the 8.0 updates. That is the problem I am running into. When these come out of the box, there are 87 windows updates that I have to do before the 8.1 option appears in the store. When I try to do all the x64 updates for 8.0, I get the failure to configure error.
brianstoiber

Postby aker » 07.08.2014, 20:19

Did you update the tablet using wsusou or Windows Update?
aker

aker

Postby brianstoiber » 07.08.2014, 20:26

I was trying to update it using wsusou. I ran the UpdateInstaller.exe and it appeared to be installing all the security patches but then it requires a reboot. It reboots and then says installing update # of # and eventually gives me the Failure error.
brianstoiber

Postby aker » 07.08.2014, 20:34

Then upload C:\Windows\wsusofflineupdate.log, C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log and C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log and post a link to the files here.

A few questions:
It is a Surface Pro running Windows 8.0 (NT 6.2) x64, that's right?
Running wsusou as admin? Did you use the internal admin profile?
UAC enabled?
Is the tablet member of a domain?
AV Software?
Any updates installed before running wsusou?
wsusou running from?
aker

aker

Postby brianstoiber » 07.08.2014, 20:39

It is a Surface Pro running Windows 8.0 (NT 6.2) x64, that's right? Correct
Running wsusou as admin? Did you use the internal admin profile? I just ran it. The account it is on though is an Admin account
UAC enabled? UAC is enabled and set to "Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (default)
Is the tablet member of a domain? No
AV Software? None installed
Any updates installed before running wsusou? None
wsusou running from? the folder with all the files from the downloaded zip is located on the desktop. I unzipped the files to the desktop.

I am in the middle of trying it again. I will post the log files after I see what happens to it this time.
brianstoiber

Next

Return to Verschiedenes / Miscellaneous