Suggestion to improve

Suggestion to improve

Postby Kenb » 18.11.2013, 05:09

Have to say hands down the nicest bestest thing for repair persopns ever seen.. A few questions and suggestions

1: Can the entire folder and applications be run from a NAS drive share?
I.E. I have a Seagate Goflex drive. Can I install the whole thing onto my Goflex drive shared folder?
and run it from there and have it update itself right onto the NAS drive, as well as install updates from client folder) to any computer hooked up to my LAN?
2: Would be a cool option or is there a switch that hides the popping up DOS shell windows so they don't interrupt you?
3: how can I schedule it to run the updater and then aftwards the installer?
Last suggestion is to have a popup window or something to tell the user it is done downloading updates and/or installing updates.
And an option to close the downloader after it is done would eliminte the need for a popup. Even like to know the option to close out the whole program after it is complete. Also one that tells the user that they need to restart to complete the updates.
Thats one area I wish microsoft would fix, is the need to restart for ANY reason.

If you plan to go further with this, one might want to look into a product detection engine, that would place the desired updates and downloads based on what microsoft products could be detected in the running system. If you were able to pull that one off, the choices interfacing would no longer even be needed, but you could still leave them in there for expert mode vs simple mode. This would make it foolproof for a novice user, and while your at it, how about making it replace windows update in the target system by giving the option to turn it off (and eliminate windows lovely advisor) all at the same time.

if nothing else then please at least consider getting 3rd parties involved in purchasing your product as a part of their productivity suite.
Kenb

Re: Suggestion to improve

Postby aker » 18.11.2013, 06:51

1.: The software is able to be used from a network drive, you will need to mount your shared folder as a network drive.
There is a linux download script (.\sh\DownloadUpdates.sh), you may try to use it to download the updates without a computer.
I don't know, if it works, just try.

2.: Just add
Code: Select all
minimizeondownload=Enabled
to the [Miscellaneous] section of UpdateGenerator.ini.

3.: You can try to call the script files (.\cmd\DownloadUpdates.cmd and .\client\cmd\DoUpdate.cmd) with the parameters needed. (There is an option to create a collection script for the download part, so you don't need to call DownloadUpdates.cmd many times (if you selected more than one product).)
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby Kenb » 19.11.2013, 03:07

I will try option 1 that should work. Is thre a similar option for the updates installer? have to look into that as well.
As for the .sh commands, you have lost me on those as I am not knowing how it could run without a computer. Incidentally I am working in Windows and not Linux at the moment. While the Goflex Drive runs apache version of Linux as the server, I am not sure you could run WSUS inside that unit. Someone in another forum has shown ways to modify the GoFlex drive Firmware to form a torrent downloader/server like thing. :lol:
Kenb

Postby WSUSUpdateAdmin » 19.11.2013, 07:14

For scheduling, pls. see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=120 and viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2691.
RTW
WSUSUpdateAdmin
Administrator

Return to Verschiedenes / Miscellaneous