Downloads Already Installed Updates and Few Humble Requests

Downloads Already Installed Updates and Few Humble Requests

Postby michschu1 » 18.07.2012, 07:25

XP Professional SP3(SP3 installed separately after installing XP Pro SP2)

Hi, On a new installation, I had already installed SP3 and .NET Framework, Internet Explorer 8 and Windows Media Player 11, I have a bunch of files downloaded already, which are updates for XP, IE8, .NET, WMP 11, etc. The thing is I thought that the WSUS program will FIRST check the system and list what is to be updated and list the updates with check marks, so that we can manually select the files to download instead of it just randomly downloading all the files first, which gives the user no control at all over what is to be downloaded or not because it downloads first and does not check what is already installed.

My humble suggestions would be, like the old Windows Update Programs first scan the computer and only list the updates according to chosen components for download that are needed and not the ones already downloaded and installed. There should also be separate options for each windows component to choose before giving start for checking, for example say, Windows XP SP3 as a separate option and Windows XP updates separate option (since SP3 is already downloaded and installed), Internet Explorer 8 separate and its updates separate option under it, WMP 11(Player alone one option with Updates as a separate option), .NET main packs separate option and Service packs/hot fixes separate option pertaining they again don't download the ones that are already installed.

The problem arises because it first downloads everything(what a waste of bandwidth and double work checking already downloaded files) and then only we can see that it has downloaded what is already there. :cry: This would enable the person to select only what is needed or be able to check with a documented list/files folder of the updates they already have downloaded and select only the ones needed instead of getting SP3, XP Updates, Windows Media Player with its updates, IE7 IE8 IE9 all together, especially when already downloaded/installed!

Also instead of being server based, the files that are downloaded can be downloaded in a serial number format (as .exe files) in the correct install order with superseding updates in the correct order so that manual installation can be done accordingly from a local folder or be put on a pen drive or external drive to use on computers to be installed in the future, with say a script or .exe file in the main folder to check the windows update database if there are any additional updates from the web before installing for another computer according to its requirements. And also detect and install only the files needed for each computer based on requirements. This way there will be a complete set of files till the latest updates and it can be installed accordingly.

As of now, the program has downloaded all the files to the computer I actually want to install the updates on and I want to know how to start going about and executing the updates. I see cab files in there too so am wondering if the files can be as .exe to install directly on another computer when the updates are saved onto a pen drive, or is there a file that has to be opened to install the updates from the folder. Problem is because there was a WSUS program update and I had given the option to save to another folder with browse, I have two folders as WSUS offline with the updates under client folder or something. Which folder should I backup onto a pen drive to attach to other computers and install (any particular files to look out for in particular to identify the same)?

I already have created an excel sheet with around 427 updates, I found in Windows Add/Remove Programs on my own system and have to sit now and double check if anything is left out/or needed to be installed, and moreover check the files with my already downloaded files to clear up the unnecessary loss of disk space, but boy is it going to be a tedious task due to this inconvenience. :ugeek:

Thanks and Regards, Michael
michschu1

Re: Downloads Already Installed Updates and Few Humble Reque

Postby boco » 18.07.2012, 11:23

I think you failed to undestand the purpose of this tool. It's actually not what you think it is... it's not a WU replacement.

WSUS Offline Updater is a tool for admins/power users who have multiple fresh systems for updating prior to connecting them to the net. For that reason, the downloader builds a patch repository first.

1. That repository contains only security-related (''critical'') updates and some important ones, but not feature- and recommended (''optional'') patches. It is therefore by no means ''complete''. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=172
2. The repository is completely independent from the operating system you build it on. So you can run WSOSOU Downloader on a Windows 7 system, but download patches for XP, for example.
3. The repository holds, by design, all security-related patches that MIGHT be missing on the target systems to update later.

Normally you are supposed to create an ISO (for burning to optical media) or to copy the patches to an USB drive (by checking the boxed in the downloader). That media is used to update the target system(s). The patches are meant to be installed by the second component of WSUSOU, the Installer (in the ./client subdirectory). The contents of the ./client subdirectory are the ones that get (partially or completely) copied to the media.
The installer actively examines the target system and installs only what's missing.

Next, the patches to download are dynamically determined at runtime, from a special Microsoft catalog file (wsusscn2.cab). That catalog contains only a few patches in .exe format, the rest is .cab. That cannot be changed.

Problem is because there was a WSUS program update and I had given the option to save to another folder with browse, I have two folders as WSUS offline with the updates under client folder or something. Which folder should I backup onto a pen drive to attach to other computers and install (any particular files to look out for in particular to identify the same)?
Problem is because there was a WSUS program update and I had given the option to save to another folder with browse, I have two folders as WSUS offline with the updates under client folder or something. Which folder should I backup onto a pen drive to attach to other computers and install (any particular files to look out for in particular to identify the same)?
Usually you are safe to install a new release over an old one. This saves you from having to rebuilt the repository. In the few cases where a new directory is required, the subdirectories containing the patches (like wxp, w60, w61 etc.) must be moved manually to the new ./client subdirectory. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=111
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby michschu1 » 18.07.2012, 14:16

Oh my God! :shock: I thought this is going to be an easier solution for getting all updates to a single place so that I can install them to different systems instead of downloading them each time. :( Talk about more than 427 + updates being downloaded manually one by one to do the same!

This was the sole reason I spent a considerable amount of time making that excel sheet list from files installed on my own computer! Considering the excel file on Microsoft site has a humongous list which I might reach my grave trying to download. If WSUS is not the answer what does the ISO file on Microsoft site contain and how does that help?

Does it contain the entire list of updates from which u just place the DVD and then run a command to check and install only the updates for the respective computer or is it again a manual search and install. I think the list I created includes even the optional updates you mention that are omitted from WSUS database. Wish me luck in getting those files off the Web now one by one:(

Damn am I the patient one! Lol Rather I might end up a patient or the dead one by the time I succeed with this ordeal! So, suppose I set up these files on a spare 1945 system that I have, I can use that as a server and store those files and install them from there on future systems? How do I go about it? Any particular programs or components to have or install in place in order to accomplish the desired result, i.e. getting the updates to systems without manually downloading them each and every time?! Or do you suggest sticking with a pen drive for now as it is a more viable option?
michschu1

Postby aker » 18.07.2012, 16:58

Wsusou is desinged for creating a local repository of all Updates for One or multiple operating Systems.
You may copy the Client subdir to an USB Drive, a network Drive or somewhere Else.
On the Computer you want to Update just Run the Installer and it will detect the missing Updates and install them from your repository on USB or somewhere Else. The repository you create includes all Updates except optional or replaced ones.
You Download them once and install them on many Computers After copying to USB or the other locations wsus ou supports.
Everything is done automatically. Therefore wsusou uses a catalog provided by Microsoft where all updates are listed.
You Start the Download and it will determine all Updates you Need to Download (Not replaced and Not in your repository) and downloads them. Then just copy the Client Folder to USB Key or sOmewhere Else and Run the Installer. It uses the downloaded catalog and gives it to the local Windows Update Client (no Internet connction requiered) and that will Return the required updates. Based on this List wsusou searches its local repository and installes the Updates.

If you want to create a Server like ms wsus does, just create a Network Drive and Mount it on the Clients.
On the Server create a sheduled task calling downloadupdates.cmd, on the Clients you have to call doupdate.cmd.

I don't know where the Post is, but there is a Post, in which -Iwan- explains the Syntax of those cmds.
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby michschu1 » 19.07.2012, 03:59

Wsusou is designed for creating a local repository of all Updates for One or multiple operating Systems.

So from what I come to understand, This is actually the BASIC idea we(or at least I) want to achieve, but NOT what the Program does by default(at least thoroughly), i.e. Not ALL updates are available(optional, etc) Plus the option of even using the program on a computer with some updates already installed would give the program more exposure and functionality than what it does, but cannot for now, as it doesn't have options.

Therefore wsusou uses a catalog provided by Microsoft where all updates are listed. You Start the Download and it will determine all Updates you Need to Download (Not replaced and Not in your repository) and downloads them.

You see why I mentioned the humble suggestion can be so that it first checks with a system repository and lists(with check box) BEFORE Download so that not ALL updates are downloaded which are already downloaded or installed being downloaded again. This would make the program be more useful in a more expanded manner for different purposes/scenarios too, given that it would definitely be of valuable help if it allowed few of the features mentioned and also becomes more thorough in its database of updates and also gives one control over which updates to download.

This would enable a ONE STOP solution as an Optional Windows Update for OFFLINE capability. Still it is only My Humble Suggestion, because I know it would seem like Hard Work(trust me, I know because that's what I'm trying to do) getting all the necessary updates listed and also later adding in Newer Updates to the suppository for future use. Though I'm sure some wise ones with knowledge in the realm can write scripts or whatever that facilitates adding later updates to the locally created suppository or database from a system connected to the net, and moved to a pen drive or other medium to use for updating offline systems. Wouldn't that seem precise of what one would want to achieve?

I can see that you try to tell me that it is not the intended purpose of the program to do so, but then why would one not want or wish for the program to be more efficient and thorough? :| Call it wishful thinking or expecting perfection or too much, but then nothing is impossible until We Actually Try isn't it? If people are fine with this method, no problem, we have to be happy with what is, but if people want more functionality, (and it is only in hoping that the program could use its potential to the fullest) I think we have to do the work on our own, as it is in human nature for some to keep wanting more, while others to be content with "what is, as is" regardless of completeness or not. Don't mean to offend anyone, and not trying to criticize someone's hard work, :oops: just a thought, and hope that it would be helpful for the future.

Thanks for the quick responses thus far. Warm Regards. ;) Now I go to kill myself on my computer with crosschecking the updates and downloading the missing ones! :roll:
michschu1

Postby boco » 19.07.2012, 06:59

So from what I come to understand, This is actually the BASIC idea we(or at least I) want to achieve, but NOT what the Program does by default(at least thoroughly), i.e. Not ALL updates are available(optional, etc) Plus the option of even using the program on a computer with some updates already installed would give the program more exposure and functionality than what it does, but cannot for now, as it doesn't have options.
You are just misunderstanding. The local repository only contains the security critical updates. This is by design. The catalog isn't provided by MS out of good will, you know. That one's meant for big companies etc. running so called WSUS servers (centralized managements of security patches). We just use wsusscn2.cab for our purposes. A catalog containing all download URIs for the complete patches does not exist (or is not provided) so you would have to maintain the URL database manually (you can do that already using the Static definitions, read the FAQ). We won't do that, there are enough people doing this already with their update packs.

You see why I mentioned the humble suggestion can be so that it first checks with a system repository and lists(with check box) BEFORE Download so that not ALL updates are downloaded which are already downloaded or installed being downloaded again. This would make the program be more useful in a more expanded manner for different purposes/scenarios too, given that it would definitely be of valuable help if it allowed few of the features mentioned and also becomes more thorough in its database of updates and also gives one control over which updates to download.
Updates which are already in the repository and do not have been superseded by later ones are not downloaded again. Superseded patches are actually removed, happens all the time. And I told you already, the Downloaded does not care about the patch level of the downloading system at all (by design). We even have download scripts for Linux, go figure.

This would enable a ONE STOP solution as an Optional Windows Update for OFFLINE capability.
That's exactly what WSUSOU isn't, and doesn't want to be. WSUSOU updates the target systems to a patch level where it is safe to connect them to the net do get the remaining patches from Windows Update. It doesn't strives to be a WU replacement.

Still it is only My Humble Suggestion, because I know it would seem like Hard Work(trust me, I know because that's what I'm trying to do) getting all the necessary updates listed and also later adding in Newer Updates to the suppository for future use. Though I'm sure some wise ones with knowledge in the realm can write scripts or whatever that facilitates adding later updates to the locally created suppository or database from a system connected to the net, and moved to a pen drive or other medium to use for updating offline systems. Wouldn't that seem precise of what one would want to achieve?
Automated solutions fail in this case, the lists would have to be maintained manually and WSUSOU updated all the time. We are already making a few exceptions (.NET, MSSE, Silverlight) but that list is kept small to keep maintenance overhead at bay.

Long story short, I guess you are looking for a tool of a different nature. There exist update packs already following that approach. And don't forget that WSUSOU is Open Source Software, you can experiment with it as much as you want. Who knows, you might find a solution?

Whew, wall of text.
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Re: Downloads are a Hellish Experience!

Postby michschu1 » 22.07.2012, 20:04

:lol: Yeah a Wall alright. Thing is, if Microsoft Update was polished in its methods there wouldn't be so many forums breaking their heads on what update is for what. I am actually manually downloading the updates this time and painstakingly noting down the updates thrown at me from initial install with IE8 and .NET with most of its SPs and Windows Media Player 11. This includes checking list with the WSUS folder, my already downloaded updates folder that I had and checking between site and excel sheet. I would have been better off banging my head on a WALL instead of doing this, but I've started so I will finish! May take long, but I don't care!

The first thing I notice is the first Windows Update Badge and the Windows Update Site list vary with the order of download on first instance! Trust me, there's nothing worse than sorting out an excel sheet list and a folder of files three times over, just because the order of updates do not match between the site updates and the Badge window! :evil: Which again I had to sort out [yeah files are saved and named with number series too (001 - NNN) before the file name to keep things in order] because it has Office updates in the beginning then again Office Updates before the end, a bunch of updates with IE8 and WMP11 thrown in any old order and a few optional .NET updates in the bargain! Migraine spiked to maximum but all thrown into order and first batch of updates list and file downloads complete!

Also, they have very bad descriptions on the website wherein some will be for WMP11, but will show up as Update for Microsoft Windows XP SP3 and Hotfix/Update for Windows XP and vice versa. Office SP1 will be shown as KB2510690 in update window with 304 mb, but it is actually the number of microsoft page that contains the different SP1s for Office 2010 (GRRR, oh that's a growl by the way, not a version of Office) and KB2460049 which is 361 mb and thankfully which I already have! Crazy!

Finally made a folder with the updates in order and as of now since I already have MSE, WLE, and Silverlight .exe-s already with me, I will start on the install and see what other updates are thrown at me in the future and list them too. They would have been better off just letting ALL files be saved with KB number and tiny descriptions of each in the file name which they actually are trying to do so you don't have to guess which KB number is rvkroots, etc.

Hopefully at the end of it all, I should have one batch of updates that are necessary with the list too and can update the folder and list as and when new updates arrive and no need of wasting bandwidth so many times! And imagine I intend to do this for both Windows XP and Windows 7! Just that I may need a higher power glasses at the end of it all or who knows might be resting in peace(or pieces) in my grave! Mission Impossible?!! Let's Just See! :ugeek: Pray for my soul if I don't succeed! :lol:
michschu1

Postby boco » 23.07.2012, 05:55

They would have been better off just letting ALL files be saved with KB number and tiny descriptions of each in the file name which they actually are trying to do so you don't have to guess which KB number is rvkroots, etc.
[sarcasm]They can't do that, that would be user-friendly.[/sarcasm]

And imagine I intend to do this for both Windows XP and Windows 7!
Well, I have used (and partially still have) PCs with:
-DOS
-Windows 3.x
-Windows 95B/C
-Windows 98SE
-NT 4.x
-Win2000SP4
-WinXPSP3
-VistaSP2
-Win7SP1

I can say the KB system is already improved, it was much worse when the old KBxxxxxx and the Qxxxxxx system co-existed. Before the mighty Internet showed up we usually used just the vanilla systems without any updates. Back then, updates were primarily for fixing system malfunctions, not security. Note I'm speaking of Windows consumers only.

The name format in WSUSOU is just the KB number, followed by an underdash and the SHA1 hash of that file. I have heard real WSUS servers are much worse, with only numbers, so consider yourself lucky.
boco

Return to Verschiedenes / Miscellaneous