How to properly use it monthly?

How to properly use it monthly?

Postby IcyFire » 13.03.2012, 05:38

I have many PCs on my house (all of them is win XP)
what should I do to update my house's PCs monthly with wsus offline?

Do I have to download (generate) the update every month?
but wouldnt the previous month's downloaded updates are going to be downloaded again?
is there any way to download just the updates for this month? without redownloading the previous updates?

thanks in advance

p.s
if I am not mistaken, updates for XP has been stopped? is it really true?
and does it affect this routinal updates I'm going to do?

edit: moved to "miscellaneous" (rednaxela)
IcyFire

Re: How to properly use it monthly?

Postby rednaxela » 13.03.2012, 09:57

Hello and welcome to the forum :) In short:
IcyFire wrote:Do I have to download (generate) the update every month?
Yes (you have to start the UpdateGererator every month, only new updates will be downloaded and added to your repositry, while superseded updates will be deleted if you have checked the "cleaning" option)
IcyFire wrote:but wouldnt the previous month's downloaded updates are going to be downloaded again?
No, they will be kept and stay.
IcyFire wrote:is there any way to download just the updates for this month? without redownloading the previous updates?
See above: this happens automatically ;)
Die Mehrheit der Mitglieder dieses Forums hat sich dafür ausgesprochen höflich und respektvoll miteinander umzugehen. Neue Mitglieder werden gebeten diese Entscheidung zu respektieren und sich ebenfalls so zu verhalten ;)
Bin ab und zu mal hier...
rednaxela

Postby boco » 13.03.2012, 13:42

p.s
if I am not mistaken, updates for XP has been stopped? is it really true?
and does it affect this routinal updates I'm going to do?
No, Windows XP is still in its Extended support phase. While no new functionality will be added, and feature bugs won't be routinely fixed, you will still get security updates.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/ ... us&C2=1173

According to the lifecycle page, Windows XP support will die 2014-04-08. At that point, it will be removed from WSUSOU, too.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby IcyFire » 14.03.2012, 03:11

thank you for the answers, rednaxela and boco

rednaxela wrote:Yes (you have to start the UpdateGererator every month, only new updates will be downloaded and added to your repositry, while superseded updates will be deleted if you have checked the "cleaning" option)

the cleaning option? do you mean the "cleanup download directory" option in the UpdateGenerator window?

so if I want to use it monthly, should I untick the 'cleanup download directory' option before downloading updates?
IcyFire

Postby rednaxela » 14.03.2012, 07:49

IcyFire wrote:the cleaning option? do you mean the "cleanup download directory" option in the UpdateGenerator window?
Exactly.
IcyFire wrote:so if I want to use it monthly, should I untick the 'cleanup download directory' option before downloading updates?
No, it should be activated. It´s a usefull option because in this way older (superseded) updates (which will never further needed) will be deleted from your repositry :ugeek:
Die Mehrheit der Mitglieder dieses Forums hat sich dafür ausgesprochen höflich und respektvoll miteinander umzugehen. Neue Mitglieder werden gebeten diese Entscheidung zu respektieren und sich ebenfalls so zu verhalten ;)
Bin ab und zu mal hier...
rednaxela

Return to Verschiedenes / Miscellaneous