Selecting what updates to be downloaded to server

Selecting what updates to be downloaded to server

Postby jantorep » 27.02.2012, 13:10

Hello

I have not searched, but not sure what to search for, as my question might not have an answer.

Is it possible to set that for instance drivers are aprooved but not downloaded to the WSUS server?

We would like to have all updates and so on downloaded to the server, but not the drivers. As they will increase the disk usage by alot if we allow all drivers.

So if it is possible to set that drivers for instance need to be downloaded from MS when a user get's it it would be great.

Regards
Jan-Tore
jantorep

Re: Selecting what updates to be downloaded to server

Postby -Iwan- » 27.02.2012, 17:32

WSUSOU does not download any driver. Also it does not upload the updates to a WSUS server, it downloads them from it.
-Iwan-

Postby jantorep » 28.02.2012, 09:14

Ehm

Let's try this again. This is on the wsus server. So what you are saying when i aproove a driver in the wsus console it does not download the driver to the wsus server? The user needing the driver get's it directly from microsoft?

JT
jantorep

Postby Markus » 28.02.2012, 12:43

The tool discussed in this forum is WSUS Offline Update and is not identical with Microsoft WSUS.

Postby boco » 29.02.2012, 09:19

WSOSOU can only download data from WSUS and Microsoft servers. And it only downloads security critical ones. Microsoft's catalog file (which is used) does not contain anything other. Despite the similar name, and the common catalog source (wsusscn2.cab), WSUS and WSUSOU are different things.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby theapprenticeco » 10.03.2012, 00:00

I am a beginner with WSUSOU, I ve read the basic documentation, how ever my specific need is to enable ONLY CERTAIN updates to be -downloaded- and installed to 2003 and 2008 servers. This is for installing some set of applications that requires this filtered updates.

As far as I understand I can add kb numbers to the exceptions (black list)
wsusoffline70\wsusoffline\client\exclude\ExcludeList.txt

but I need the opposite, build a white list,
later use the WSUSOU, and in the server check all the updates presented.

Is that possible?, with some tweaking? with a lot of tweaking? could I edit the catalog xml file (where is it...?)
would be glad to hear some of your experience.

Thanks a bunch / Danke Schön
theapprenticeco

Postby aker » 10.03.2012, 11:59

You can add the Update ID's you want to have in the WhiteList to the files in
Code: Select all
.\static\DownloadLinks-<OS>-<ARCH>-<LANG>.txt (add the download link)

and in
Code: Select all
.\client\static\StaticUpdateIDs-<OS>-<ARCH>.txt (the id only)

but I think the is not needed, because WSUSOU uses Windows Update Agent to setermine the security updates needed for your computer.
In WSUSOU there is no "server". Ther is the Generator (downloads the updates) and the Installer (installs the updates, downloaded by Generator).

Es gibt eine Möglichkeit eine WhiteList zu erstellen.
Dazu einfach (wie oben in den Codeboxen beschrieben) den Link bzw. die ID hinzufügen. WSUSOU wird diese dann berücksichtigen.
Meiner Meinung nach wird das aber nicht benötigt, da WSUSOU alle Sicherheitsupdates für den Computer über den Windows Update Agent (Wird auch von Windows Update verwendet) ermittelt und diese dann installiert.
Bei WSUSOU gibt es keinen "Server". Es besteht aus dem Generator, der die Updates von einem WSUS Server oder von MS herunterlädt, und dem Installer, der die vom Generator heruntergeladenen Updates installiert. Dabei müsste das WSUSOU Verzeichnis auf DVD / USB-Stick oder Netzlaufwerk liegen, sodass ein Zugriff auf alle Dateien im "client"-Ordner besteht.

Important / Wichtig: This forum is not about Microsoft's WSUS Server. / Dieses Forum ist nicht für Fragen zum WSUS Server von Microsoft ausgelegt

Viele Grüsse
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten oder an den Meistbietenden versteigern. / Everybody finding a misspelling is allowed to keep or sell it.
aker

WSUS Offline Update „Community Edition“
https://gitlab.com/wsusoffline/wsusoffline/-/releases
aker

Postby boco » 13.03.2012, 14:00

What you want to do would totally defeat the purpose of WSUSOU. Essentially you'd need to disable automatic determination of required updates and define everything you want statically. You don't need WSUSOU for that, just a batch that installs your manually downloaded selected updates in sequence.
It's just like installing Windows 7 Ultimate just for the calculator.
Microsoft update catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/
Windows Install media download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media
boco

Postby theapprenticeco » 30.03.2012, 17:13

boco, I was just thinking about your reply.
as you may know automatic updates can in some cases damage a particular application, and thats my case,
(the developer publish a document with the security bulletins tested and approved, that would be the "white" list)
I have tried to prepare the iso, and later apply with a blacklist.
my black list in this case are the ones that are in "all the patches" but NOT in "white list".
I works most of times, however some (usually the new) hotfixes are sneaking because of "all the patches" changes every time.

I think the purpose of WSUSOU of not exposing an unpatched server to the internet, saving bandwidth and time still apply to my case.

Could a batch job do that? for say, 70% of the available updates?

thanks
theapprenticeco

Postby Crasy » 05.07.2012, 16:43

I am also looking for a batch file to get the chance of choosing what files should be downloaded. I was looking for one all the time but without results.
Crasy

Return to Verschiedenes / Miscellaneous